"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Some test results

My OB/GYN called me today. So naturally, I figured he got my test results back and was calling to tell me something came back positive. I had 3 blood tests done 2 weeks ago, all of them used to detect lupus. The first 2 tests came back negative - ANA and something else I can't remember (I do know it had the word lupus in the name though). So, based on those results, I think lupus is ruled out (I figured I didn't have it to begin with - no major symptoms). The third test is called anticardiolipin antibody test. That one came back positive, which happens if you have elevated levels of anticardiolipin antibodies (IgG, IgA, or IgM) present in your blood. I have a moderate elevation of IgM antibodies. My doctor (who is wonderful, by the way) called the perinatologist (she specializes in high-risk pregnancies) to see what she thought about my test results. She said that an elevation of IgM wouldn't concern her if I had a good outcome with the pregnancy. But, since I had a bad outcome, that causes some concern. My doctor said he wants to do a thrombophilia workup, to check blood clotting issues. I wasn't too worried until I started googling all of that (big mistake, but I am glad I have a better understanding of what may happen). Anticardiolipin antibodies are created as an autoimmune response and can cause inappropriate clot formation (which can cause miscarriages and fetal complications in pregnancy - which would make sense with my situation...there was a clot found under the placenta). So I guess they want to look into that more. My doctor said this may be a good thing, because at least there would be a reason that everything happened and we could prevent it from happening it again. My next appointment is in 2 weeks, and my doctor said we would talk more then. And after that appointment, he wants me to see the high-risk OB/GYN. There is some relief knowing that we may be able to prevent problems in future pregnancies, but of course there's still the worry that pregnancy will be a long and difficult road. No need to worry yet, I suppose.

On a completely random note, Logan and I bought a stationary exercise bike. It's the coolest.

4 comments:

  1. Joan aka Mom/Ms. JoanJanuary 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM

    Jen and Logan -

    I will keep you in my prayers - I really have a good feeling that in one year (or close to it), you will be the proud parents of another baby boy. Levi will have a little brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's excellent news, jen and logan! I had been wondering if you had gotten tested of Gamma Globulins? Can't wait for more news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    On an up note! my stepmother-in-law's daughter had the same kind of issue but she was much further along when this happened to her. So for her second pregnancy they gave her a blood thinner (heparin) that was injected daily by her and the second pregnancy had no complications.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan aka Mom/Ms. JoanApril 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

    Jen and Logan -

    I will keep you in my prayers - I really have a good feeling that in one year (or close to it), you will be the proud parents of another baby boy. Levi will have a little brother!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...