"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Truth is...

I randomly came across this book recently, and all I can say is that it’s a God thing. It’s called I Will Carry You and is written by Angie Smith, who found out during a pregnancy that her child was basically “incompatible with life.” Even though it was suggested to them that they terminate the pregnancy, she and her husband decided to continue with it, despite knowing their daughter would not survive outside the womb (praise God for their awesome witness to the dignity of life). I’m not finished reading it, but already it’s been extremely helpful. It’s always comforting to read words from someone who has also experienced a loss with pregnancy; thoughts I’ve had don’t seem as crazy when you find out other people have thought the same things (if that makes any sense). This book, as well as random other things that have come up in my life lately, have made me more aware of other people’s situations. You just never know what other people are going through, whether it’s a death in the family or a battle with cancer or vocation discernment or just plain not knowing what the heck they’re supposed to do next in life. We tend to take things for granted – I know I’m just as guilty as the next person. That’s an important thing to realize, especially for me, since I kind of went into a self-pity phase for a little while. Truth is, I have a lot to be thankful for. I know I haven’t been blessed with a healthy baby yet, but there are a lot of other things I have going for me that not necessarily everyone else has (wonderful husband, great friends and family, roof over my head, food…you get the picture). Sometimes it’s entirely too easy to focus on what you don’t have instead of what you do have.

“Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way, yet without sin. So let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help.” – Hebrews 4:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...