"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Joys of Home Ownership

Today I woke up at 6:15, just like any other weekday. Our bedroom is upstairs, so on my way downstairs I heard running water. I thought that maybe the toilet in the downstairs bathroom was just making noises (as it's known to do), but then I realized that the water wasn't just running - it sounded like it was moving very fast.  The bathroom and living room is lower than the rest of the house, since it was added on (the original structure is quite old and is raised). So, to get to the bathroom, I had to go down a little step. Well, I stepped down, and my socks were instantly soaked with water. Naturally, I panicked, and probably ran around in a circle, trying to decide if I should discover the source of the leaking water or just wake up Logan and make him do it. Since the rushing water sounded very close, I went into the bathroom and looked to the right at the toilet, and realized it was fine. I looked straight ahead at the tub - that was fine as well. I stood there, wondering where the heck the water was coming from - I don't know why it took me a few seconds to realize that the noise was coming from under the sink. I opened the cabinet doors to find water blasting out. Once again, I panicked, and ran upstairs screaming for Logan to wake up (it was probably something like "LOGANNNNN!! HURRY HURRY THE HOUSE IS FLOODED! LOGANNNN!"). He ran downstairs and turned off the water (yeah, I still feel like an idiot for not trying to figure it out). Then we go into the living room and realize that the entire living room  - the big and beautiful room I showed off not too long ago - was flooded. Logan said a few, ahem, choice words, and I cried, and we just stood in the water for a couple minutes. We just bought this house 2 months ago, and we had put down new flooring. We weren't exactly planning on replacing it anytime soon. So, when you wake up to something like that, you kind of don't know what to do - because you know there are a million things to do and you don't want to do any of it. But that's life.

With the help of Logan's dad and co-worker, we got the water vacuumed up and had de-humidifiers set up all day. We found out that one of the hoses under the sink had popped off, which is to blame for the flood. Unfortunately, both of us were needed at work, so we both did as much as we could and then went in late. Our house is a mess (at least the flooded part), and we're waiting on the insurance company to come check things out. Oh, did I mention that our housewarming party is in 3 days? Yep, perfect time for our living room to flood. But, I do have to say that Logan and I are VERY grateful that the water was somewhat contained in the lower part of the house. It could have been much worse. And, the party must go on. Just saying. :)

I'm starting to not like the month of December. Last December , I woke up in the middle of the night, and yelled for Logan in the same panicked way - although for a completely different reason (he made sure to point that out to me). In one way or another, those memories keep coming back.

And really, I'd take a flooded living room anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...