"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, December 17, 2010

More about foster care

People have been asking about the whole foster care thing, and I've been meaning to write more about it.
We've already attended 3 classes (3 hours each), so we have 4 left. Two social workers teach the class, and they started with the basics - explaining the purpose of foster care and how they go about placing kids in custody. Now they're teaching us what to expect if we ever have foster children in our homes. Every child in foster care has been either abused - emotionally, physically, sexually - or neglected, or both. So obviously, there are a lot of issues to deal with. I can't imagine what it'd be like to be taken out of my home as a child and put in another home with strangers. Add to that the reason they were removed in the first place.
When we finish attending the 21 hours of classes, Logan and I will be dually-certified as both foster and adoptive parents. Even though the goal of foster care is to provide a temporary home to kids until they're reunited with their family, it doesn't always work out that way. Some biological parents have their parental rights taken away, so their kids become available for adoption. I'll give an example in case I'm not explaining it very well...
Let's say Logan and I take in a kid. If after 18 months, the parents have not cooperated and have not gotten their act together, OCS may go to court to get the parents' rights terminated. If that happens, Logan and I would be expected to adopt that kid. That's why they certify people to both foster and adopt - it helps to prevent kids from going from home to home. If for some reason Logan and I decide we don't want to adopt that child (which wouldn't happen, I'm just saying it as an example), that child would then have to move to another home that wants to adopt them. And well, that's just not cool. Children get attached, and their biological families have already given the impression that they don't want the kid...we don't want to add insult to injury.
I could go on and on about this, but since I'm not a fan on reading super long entries, I'll spare you and stop here for now. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...