"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Foster care cont'd

When Logan and I first started taking the foster care classes, we weren't sure what to expect. But it turns out that it's pretty interesting, and we actually don't mind going for 3 hours every week. :) 2 more to go!

I know I mentioned before how we'll be certified after we finish the classes, but I need to make a correction to that - we aren't certified until we go through a home study and everything. That will start whenever we finally finish the really long application that has been looming over my head for a few weeks. Eh.

There are several things that I really like about taking the classes. First off, you get to really get to know the other people in the group, and it's cool how everyone is there for the same reasons - wanting to make a positive impact in a child's life. The first night, everyone said a little about themselves, including why they wanted to foster/adopt. It was really interesting to hear what exactly brought everyone together - many couples were there because they haven't been able to conceive themselves. There are even a couple single women who aren't married and don't have kids, but they have a love for children and want to help. 

Another thing I like is how the trainers don't sugar-coat anything. Foster care has several challenges (although it is rewarding), and they make sure you know what you're getting yourselves into. I think everyone there appreciates that. Social workers really have the best interest of the children in mind, and they want foster families who are willing to go the extra mile.

To be honest, sometimes I get worried and start to wonder if Logan and I can handle foster children. We were both blessed to grow up in loving homes, and being that foster children have either been abused or neglected, it'd be pretty hard to relate to them. But then I think about how I really feel called to this, no matter how crazy it seems, and that God will give us the grace we need in whatever situations we're put in. And well, I guess I need to remember that when it comes to pretty much every other aspect of life.
Proverbs 16:3 - Entrust your works to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...