"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Oh yes...the foster care system

I mentioned before that part of this "roller coaster ride" is dealing with everything that goes along with the foster care system. There's a very high turnover rate when it comes to foster parents, and I can definitely see why. When the baby's worker dropped him off to us that first day, she went over some paperwork, gave us as much information as she could (as in, the little she knew at the time), gave us her phone number, and then she was gone. It's kind of like a baby was just thrown into our laps. As if that wasn't overwhelming enough, there are so many different appointments, people, and organizations to keep up with - all dealing with one baby. We're supposed to stay in contact with our baby's case worker, and we have, but I almost feel like I'm bugging her too much. But then maybe I'm just overly sensitive or something.

Some foster parents have 6 foster children (that's the limit), and I seriously don't know how they do it. Each child has their own case worker, plus whatever organizations/agencies are assigned to the child's case. Then you've got to think about how some children have specific medical or psychological needs. I know biological parents have to deal with some of the same things, but foster parents almost have an extra "job" just communicating with all of the foster care workers and everything else related to the system. The first week, I spent entirely too much time on the phone because people kept telling me I needed to call someone else, and then that person told me to call another person, and so forth. Talk about frustrating. But that's when I called it quits and just called the baby's case worker to take care of it. :)

All things considering, we've had a pretty good experience so far. Sure, there have been frustrations, both with the parenting and with the foster care system, but I think Logan and I can honestly say at this point that we're glad we're doing this. Hopefully that won't change any time soon!

Ephesians 2:10 - For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for the good works that God has prepared in advance, that we should live in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...