"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, July 18, 2011

This thing called fertility

This is a fun fertility post. And by fun I mean not fun. So if you don't want to hear about my reproductive system then stop right here. (You can't say I didn't warn you!) ;)

When we had Bamm Bamm, I decided to hold off on taking Clomid - I figured I'd have more time during the summer to get an ultrasound and do the blood work and all of that.

 Well. I've been waiting all summer for my period to start, because you're supposed to take Clomid on days 3-7 of your cycle. Because my reproductive system is CRAZY, I went 2 months without a period. And then it came. On vacation. Because that's how my life works.

Since it was my vacation and all, I decided not to call my doctor for a prescription (because that meant having to find a drugstore and borrow a car and whatever else). Plus, I had an appointment today about my wisdom teeth, and the possibility of having surgery to get them removed soon made me hesitant about the whole thing. I was pretty disappointed, because I've been thinking that I should give Clomid another try. But then I realized that it probably isn't my best option right now. When I first took Clomid, my progesterone ended up being low. The second time around, I didn't do the blood work again, but I was taking my temperature every morning, and I can say with certainty that my progesterone was low again.

I used to keep a chart of my cycles - before I realized it made me crazy - and although it takes my body forever (or so it seems) to ovulate on its own, my temperature is pretty high afterwards, which means my progesterone level is fine. A few weeks ago, I started taking my temperature every morning, just so I would know when to expect my period (or positive pregnancy test, ha). And after I ovulated, my temperature was high. So, my conclusion is that my progesterone level is only low when I'm on Clomid. I don't like that, considering low progesterone = miscarriage. Plus, it seems like my body does fine on its own...except that it takes longer than a normal woman.

I'm sorry if that was too detailed. But what I'm getting at is that I then was considering calling my doctor to explain my "theory" and to see if we could just skip Clomid and go to the next step - doing more blood work. Because that seems much easier at this point. I've been praying about it, though, and maybe I'm just crazy, but...I'm starting to feel like I'm supposed to wait on this whole fertility thing. I don't know why, because now seems like the perfect time to pursue this. It's frustrating, but I also have to think that maybe God is just sparing me from some unnecessary pain. I don't know.

I guess all I can do is keep praying about it.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 - There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for every affair under the heavens.

5 comments:

  1. yuck - I have the same problem (not on clomid) but I've had three miscarriages (first one we were uncertain of my progesterone) last two were because of progesterone. EVEN on Prometrium, my levels were low - it stinks! Still praying for you to get that BFP soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you basically think that only one side works?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you talking about my ovaries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. sorry. 

    as an answer to your question...it has crossed my mind before, i think, but i haven't really dwelled on it. so who knows. it's always a possibilty...

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...