"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I need a vacation

Well. This past week or so has probably been the most difficult since Peanut came to us. It's probably normal for a kid to seem to regress, considering all that he's been through, but man...it's exhausting. He's constantly - and I mean CONSTANTLY - wanting me to hold him. We could be in the car, at the dinner table, you name it, and he says, "Hold me, Mommy Jen!" I can't hold him 24-7, nor would I want to, obviously, but the problem is he gets really upset sometimes if I can't hold him.

The other problem is that he hurts himself - intentionally - when he doesn't get his way (including when I don't hold him). At first Peanut just bit his wrist, but it's progressed to hitting his head against the wall. Of course, that makes him even more upset than he is in the first place, so he wants me to hold him. But I don't want him to think I'm going to hold him every time he purposely hurts himself. And at the same time, I don't want to refuse to hold him and then have Peanut hurt himself even more. Talk about a catch-22.

We've been trying everything, or so it seems, and I'm very thankful that his daycare is working with us on this. Our new strategy is to give him more one-on-one time (I'm not going to lie, Logan is better at it than me), so he won't feel the need to beg for attention all the time. It's hard, though, since I already feel like I'm neglecting laundry and cleaning the house and everything. I decided to stop coaching soccer because life is busy enough already. But I know that in the end it will be worth it.

Oh, and let's not forget about Marley. As much as she loves Peanut (seriously, she's been known to run in his room and wake him up to play if we're not careful), Marley is also constantly begging for my attention. Except for when Peanut is throwing a fit - then she looks at us like she's the innocent one.

If you're ever bored, stop by our house. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...