I should know by now not to make plans. Seriously.
But before I get to that, I have to say that when I passed Dr. H in the hallway before my exam, he looked genuinely surprised and exclaimed, "You're still pregnant??" Later on, he told me he had a dream about me while he was out of town and that he had a long talk about me with one of the on-call doctors before he left, because he really thought something was going to happen. I must be giving him more gray hairs...ha.
So, the whole removing-the-cerclage thing. It turns out that Dr. H had a really hard time getting it out because the dang stitches had been absorbed into my cervix. He was only able to get the end off, which means I shouldn't feel that pain anymore because I won't be "poked", but the majority of the stitch is still stuck in my cervix. (I'm sorry if I'm not explaining it well...he drew a picture so it makes sense in my head.) The whole experience was worse than I was expecting, probably because he couldn't get it out, and he even wanted me to stay off my feet for the rest of the day because there was a good bit of bleeding. And that's where the whole "I should know by now not to make plans" comment comes in. (I still got my yarn and diapers though - just via wheelchair and not by leisurely walking. Sigh.)
I'm trying not to give too many details because I realize it's weird and gross and everything. Sorry if it's still TMI.
Because the cerclage is still mostly in, Dr. H gave me 2 options: 1) schedule a C-section for next week, and 2) wait to go into labor, get an epidural and remove the stitch then.
Not exactly something you want to hear when I wasn't wanting a C-section or an epidural. But, like I said, I should know by now not to make plans. This whole pregnancy has taught me that.
The reason for needing an epidural regardless (C-section or not) is because he needs me as relaxed as possible in order to get the stitch out. Even then, though, it's not guaranteed that Dr. H will be able to get the stitches out. Which is why he made it clear that he felt more comfortable scheduling a C-section instead of risking something going wrong when I'm in labor. He even said he doesn't usually schedule sections before 39 weeks, but he really doesn't want anything to go wrong. It was actually pretty sweet, because he brought up last time and how we don't want a similar experience, and that "this is an important baby." We most definitely agree. :)
Because I didn't know what the heck to think, he gave us a couple hours to think it over and had me call him back this afternoon. As much as I was really wanting to avoid a C-section, Logan and I decided that it makes the most sense in our situation. There are several things that could happen where we'd need a C-section anyway, especially if he can't get the stitches out, so we're basically "taking the guesswork out of it", in the words of Dr. H. I appreciate Dr. H's honesty about what he wants to do, because he's usually the type of doctor that will let the patient decide.
Unfortunately, my "ideal birth" isn't going to happen regardless, and at first I was bummed...but Logan and I realized that we just want a healthy baby in the end. Dr. H wants the same thing, and he feels going ahead with a C-section has the best chance of a good outcome. So, we're going to trust him on that. And quite honestly, I'm rather surprised at how at peace I am about it now.
Dr. H is supposed to call me tomorrow to schedule the C-section for sure, but today we talked about maybe doing it on Tuesday. But we'll definitely have a little baby boy in our arms by Wednesday. :) You know I'll keep everyone posted!
Logan and I most definitely appreciate the kind words and prayers. We love you all :)