"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, June 22, 2012

My C-section story

It's no secret that I wasn't planning on a c-section. But, things happen, and sometimes you just have to roll with it. Thankfully, I was blessed with a rather pleasant experience - all things considering - and for those of you who want details, here goes.

Dr. H had gone over how everything would work a couple times, and of course the day of the surgery I had other staff members explain how the c-section would go. The worst part was getting the spinal, but I knew what to expect being that I had the same thing done for my cerclage.

After I was all numbed up and everything, Logan and my mom both got to come into the operating room right before they started the section. Thankfully, I wasn't strapped down or anything, but I still didn't really move my arms because of the blood pressure cuff, IV fluids, pulse ox, etc. They made sure I was comfortable by putting blankets and everything over my upper body. Every few minutes, someone asked me how I was doing, and the anesthesiologist was really good about explaining what was going on on the other side of the drape.

I'm not sure how long after it was, but Dr. H told us that Landon would be here in about a minute. Talk about a weird feeling, knowing you're about to see your son for the first time in a matter of seconds. I heard him crying (whew!) and Dr. H held Landon over the drape so I could see him (I made sure beforehand that he knew I wanted to see my baby!). That was pretty darn cool. It's certainly not the same as a normal delivery, but I don't have any regrets. I saw Landon within seconds of him being born, and that made me happy.

While Dr. H started stitching me back up, Logan and my mom watched the nurse clean up Landon. Logan was even able to cut the cord. I couldn't see Landon (a pole was blocking my view), but I could see Logan and my mom who were right next to him. Thankfully, they had cameras, and they actually videoed Landon crying his lungs out while the nurse examined him. My mom showed me the video while I was still being sewn up, which was the next best thing.

Once Landon was all swaddled up, Logan got to hold him right next to my face, and I kissed that cute face a dozen times before they took him to the nursery. I thought I would be upset about being stuck in the OR while Landon and Logan were in the nursery, but really...I was too grateful that he was healthy, and that things went smoothly. Plus, I'd rather the nurses do what they had to do while I wasn't able to hold him. Logan also took a couple videos while in the nursery.
Getting to kiss those cheeks for the first time

The finishing up of the c-section didn't take that long - maybe 30 minutes - but right as they were about to remove the cerclage, the 2 big surgery lights went out. So we all had to wait another 10 minutes to get a light for Dr. H to be able to see (having OR lights was one of the reasons for wanting to remove the cerclage after a c-section).
He was in the nursery wanting his mommy!

Removing the cerclage didn't go as smoothly as expected, unfortunately, like I said before.  The staff kept making sure I was doing okay, though, so it wasn't too bad. And I actually didn't know until afterwards that Dr. H had a hard time getting out one of the stitches...I just knew it took well over half an hour (I think I looked at the clock a million times in there). By the time all was said and done, I was finally wheeled back to my recovery room after at least an hour and a half. The nursery brought Landon to the room, and I was able to nurse him. Our family also got to come in and take turns holding him. Thankfully it was a huge room!

In recovery (darn fluids made me swollen!)

It was probably after a couple hours that the nursery nurse came to get Landon for his bath. It worked out perfectly, actually, because it just so happened to be when my nurse moved me to the postpartum unit. So again, I wasn't too upset about them taking Landon since I wouldn't be able to hold him anyway.
In the postpartum unit

Recovery wasn't the easiest, because moving was difficult and painful. So that meant relying on other people, mainly Logan (like during the night) to help with Landon. They also wouldn't let me eat solid foods until the next morning, which was not cool! But at least I had Landon to take my mind off the hunger.

I know it may not seem like the best experience, but I guess knowing beforehand made it that much easier. And you could say that I've had to be rather flexible throughout the pregnancy, so it didn't surprise me in the least that the same went for delivery.

Our #1 goal was to have a healthy baby in the end, and we are so thankful that God did indeed bless us with a beautiful baby boy. All the sacrifices made have definitely been worth it.

1 comment:

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...