"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Blessings in disguise

Some of you may have noticed that we changed the subtitle to our blog recently. (If you don't remember what it used to say, it was "Our journey through pregnancy loss, infertility, and being foster parents".) Landon obviously is the "new life" we celebrate- he's been such a blessing and we don't take him for granted!

I decided to take out the "infertility" part, because while we certainly understand how it feels to try to conceive for an extended period of time (it took a year and a half of actively trying for Landon to come into being), I feel like saying we were infertile seems a bit silly now that we have a sweet baby boy.

That being said, I still am so very aware of those who are still in the midst of infertility. It crosses my mind every time I go to post a picture of Landon on Facebook, as silly as that may sound. Because I know what it's like to want a baby so badly, not be pregnant, and having my news feed flooded with photos and statuses about pregnancy and babies.

Of course, I didn't expect people to restrain from posting such things for my sake, and I was actually happy for those blessed with babies before me. But it was still hard.

Maybe the fact that we lost our first baby made things more difficult, but of course there's no way to know.

I've often felt before that God put me in certain situations to help me be aware of how others may be feeling. Lost a baby? Tried to conceive for awhile? Been on bed rest? Fallen in love with a foster baby and had to give him back? Took care of a toddler with severe behavior issues? I totally feel you! ;)

Truth is, everyone has at least something they've lived through or dealt with that gives them a different outlook on life. Some are obviously more painful than others.

Certain experiences of mine have not been very pleasant (as you faithful blog readers know!), but I do believe that they've been blessings in disguise. This is where I start singing Laura Story's song "Blessings." But since I can't sing - and thankfully you can't hear me, ha - I'll just share some of the lyrics.


Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops 
What if Your healing comes through tears 
What if a thousand sleepless nights  
Are what it takes to know You're near 
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise


That baby we lost? He's our little prayer warrior.

That period of infertility? Gave Logan and me a chance to work on our communication. And I think it's safe to say we wouldn't have become foster parents. And fostering has taught us OH so much!

Those months of bed rest? It gave me an opportunity to practice patience and humility. Plus I learned how to crochet!

The foster baby we fell in love with? His family still sends us pictures, and we still pray for him. He also gave us a head start when it comes to taking care of a baby.

The toddler with the behavior issues? Gave us a major trial run with disciplining. Also made us realize that many kids don't grow up with a loving family...and that fact can have dire consequences. We definitely still pray for him.

I could totally add to the list, but I'll refrain. Let's just say that as time goes on and on, it becomes more and more clear that the trials we face are blessings in disguise. Praise God for that!

"When the difficulties, contradictions, temptations, pains, and sorrows come - none of them need to be wasted. All of them can be embraced as precious opportunities to join in the great work of redemption." -Msgr. Bob Guste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...