"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, January 14, 2013

Let's not call them resolutions

Logan and I decided to make some goals for this year. Well, actually, I had to convince Logan because of the whole "New Year's Resolution" nonsense and the fact that most people give up in a month or two on their resolutions. He thought it was silly at first to make goals. Honestly, I've been wanting to write down some goals for awhile now and I finally got motivated with the new year.

So we wouldn't crash and burn from trying to do all kinds of things, I made sure to keep things simple. And once we're on a roll with these, maybe we'll add more!

Here's our list of goals, a brief explanation, and how we're doing with them so far...(I'm totally doing this for accountability)

  • Monthly confession - we used to do this but ever since Landon's birth, we've made it maybe every other month. It really, really helps us to keep a happy home. For real.{We totally went on Saturday! So hopefully we will keep it up.}
  • Compliment each other daily - this was Logan's idea because one of his love languages is words of affirmation and I am TERRIBLE at giving compliments. {Needless to say, I'm struggling with this one but Logan is doing rather well with it. The whole complimenting thing just doesn't come naturally to me!}
  • Monthly date night - after a baby it's easy to slack off on the romance so we're making this a priority. {We attended a wedding Saturday night without Landon so I think that counts :) }
  • Read to Landon daily - this is something I wanted to do since he was born and welllll...it hasn't happened that often. {I honestly forgot the entire first week of January but this week I remembered! This really is a great age to read often.}
  • Teach/use sign language with Landon - we actually started this last month but I want to make sure and keep up with it! {It had been awhile since we learned new signs but I added a couple more this week. Landon hasn't signed back yet but he definitely reacts to some of them (like milk and food). Love it!}
  • Make a toy box - this is totally Logan's idea because, um, I don't build things. {Logan was too busy decorating Landon's wagon for Mardi Gras to even think about a toy box.}
  • We also have some financial goals and other goals pertaining to our marriage, but I'd rather keep those to ourselves!
These next ones are ones that I set for myself...
  • Read Scripture daily - I used to do this in college and my spiritual life was just better then. {I think I only missed one day and that was because I was called in to work and had to eat my breakfast in the car, which is usually when I read. At breakfast, that is...not in the car. ;)}
  • Journal twice a week - I used to journal ALL.THE.TIME. Like almost every day in college. And then it decreased dramatically when I got married, and even more so once Landon was born. I love reading what I wrote long ago because it makes me see that God really does know what He is doing - even when we can't see it at the time. {Hmm...I think I've only managed to journal once a week. Sigh.}
  • Walk 4 times a week - I've been going for walks with Landon and Marley rather often these days but wanted to make sure to keep up with it. {It rained all last week! So the weather ruined this one for me big time.}
  • Exercise twice a week - sometimes I still look pregnant soooo I need to do some more vigorous exercise other than walking. {Totally bombed on this one so far. The first week of January I had a sinus infection but this past week I really had no excuse. Wellll, now that I think about it, I did work a lot last week...but still. I'm lazy.}
  • Learn to knit scarves - my mom and sister started making these super cute scarves and apparently they're pretty easy to do. I tried crocheting a scarf but didn't like how it came out so I'm thinking I will like these knitted scarves better! {Haven't done anything on this yet. I need to watch a youtube video on it before I buy the supplies.}
  • Make a monthly meal plan - I'm trying to make the whole cooking thing easier, so I want to have the same meals every month (with a few exceptions here and there for when I try new recipes). This way I also make sure we stay within our grocery budget AND it makes shopping easier. {I started making a list of easy and affordable recipes (like spaghetti, red beans, etc.) that can also be freezed so we can save half for another day. I also started keeping our grocery receipts so I can track how much ingredients cost and figure out how much each meal will cost. I hope this makes sense?}
  • Read 2 books per month - yet again, this is something I used to do all of the time. I think I've only read one book since Landon was born (that I remember, anyway). I don't really read much fiction, because I love learning new things and being inspired by nonfiction books. I miss that!{Some days I read, some days I don't. But I already read a very short ebook and then read half of another book so I think I underestimated myself with only 2 a month!}
Whew. That seems like a lot now that I explained them all (our piece of paper with the list doesn't seem as intimidating!).

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." -C. S. Lewis

2 comments:

  1. I love these.  :)  They're very similar to many of those I see posted in other blogs I read.  So, if you needed affirmation (:-p), maybe that will do it for you!  I kid.  Anyway, please keep writing...you're one of my role models as I set forth in this new role of wife and (maybe some day) mother.  <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I know you'll be great :)

      Delete

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...