"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Cloth Diapering: Part 3

Part 1 and Part 2

Okay. Here's the deal. I had written this post at the same time as the first 2, and before I got a chance to publish this last one, my opinion on cloth diapering has wavered. Like, I wanted to quit forever and go back to disposables. But I'm a pretty stubborn gal and am not going to give up! At the moment, cloth diapers are my friend but I just wanted to be honest by saying it has not been easy.

Like I said before, it's been quite a learning process, and I think I finally figured out the best way to wash the diapers. It really makes a difference. I'm also realizing that Landon is a heavy-wetter, which makes cloth diapering a bit more complicated (i.e. having to find better inserts, changing more frequently, etc.).

If I'm honest, I would totally use disposables more often (along with cloth) if we had any wiggle room in our budget. Because sometimes a woman just needs a break!

And now for some random thoughts... :)

  • Although I don't mind the cloth diapers we originally bought, I do wish I had known there were other options. Because I probably would have tried a few different diapering systems - I found this really good blog post that explains them. We currently use pocket diapers.
  • I did not realize you couldn't just use any ol' detergent to wash diapers. When I got my diapers, I knew I needed to wash them several times before using, but when I was reading about prepping them, I found out you need natural detergent...which I didn't have. So I had to order some and wait for it before starting to cloth diaper. I'm actually still using the same container of detergent I bought in October (it lasts forever!).
  • Apparently some people don't have to do this (LUCKY), but sometimes cloth diapers need to be "stripped." There are different ways to do it, but basically you're removing the buildup that may be causing leaking and/or rashes. We just switch to disposables for a day while I strip them.
  • I recently discovered Calgon Water Softenerand it really has been helping - not only with the diapers but with the rest of our laundry as well.
  • Cloth diapering can be addicting. It sounds crazy but seriously...it's hard not to want to buy all the super duper cute diaper prints! I have been able to restrain due to budgeting purposes but OH MY do I want Landon to show off this hedgehog cuteness one day. :) 


Is cloth diapering easy? Yes and no. Yes, it's easy once you get the hang of it. No, it's not as simple as throwing away a disposable.

Is it worth it? Most days I would say "absolutely." Other days, I do wonder why the heck we're doing this. I do have to say, though, that anything that helps me stay home more with my baby is worth it!

Are there days I wish we only used disposables? Depends on if it's a day Landon poops 5 times or doesn't poop at all. ;) Seriously, though, many days I'm very glad we cloth diaper. Less trash, less money, less waste. However, it does take more time and effort.

Do I plan on cloth diapering future children? Of course. But I do know that there are different seasons of life, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to cloth diaper more than one child at a time (if that ever happens to us). I would try, though. The more we use the cloth diapers, the more money we save!

I am still learning with this whole cloth diapering thing, and although it has caused much frustration over the last few months, I'm glad we made the switch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...