"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, April 15, 2013

Better late than not at all

I have a story for you today. (Did anyone notice I keep forgetting to post an update on my goals from March? And now it's halfway through April. Oy vey. Life is crazy sometimes.)

Today I was trying to get out of the door to make it to daily mass. My morning was thrown off since Landon slept late (and before you say YAY THAT'S GREAT, you should know he didn't go to sleep until almost 10 p.m. after fighting me for an hour and a half. And then he woke up at 2:30 am instead of sleeping until 5 or 6 like he's been doing. I'm thinking another tooth??), and I showered after breakfast which I never do since I always do so at night (but couldn't last night since um, Landon wouldn't go to sleep and Logan was not home).

So yeah. I was running a bit late. I had to drive to mass instead of my usual walking routine since I had to be somewhere afterwards, and I was putting Landon in his car seat at the time mass should have started. And then I get a whiff of...poop. Great, since I had just changed Landon's diaper 5 minutes before (seriously, I had literally just changed him. Why does that always happen?!). So I changed him again and attempted him to put him in his car seat again. And as he sometimes does, Landon was not having it. He can be quite the resilient boy so I took a deep breath and thought, I'm not going to mass. It's not worth the trouble. They're probably already finished the readings and by the time we get there, Father will be finishing up his homily, or close to it, and well, what's the point? (That sounds silly, I know, because hello, there's still the Eucharist!)

But God must have thrown me some extra graces at that moment, and I resolved that I would make it to mass, regardless of if it was already halfway over. I was assuming it would be, since depending on the priest, sometimes mass can be a mere 20 minutes.

So I finally got Landon in his car seat and headed to mass. We were walking to the church door exactly 10 minutes after the start of mass, so I tried to shake the feeling of being that late mother who can't get herself to mass on time. (Do I sound crazy? Sorry. I'm rarely late for mass, and it's usually only a couple minutes, much less TEN MINUTES.) 

I carry Landon inside and the first words I hear the priest say, "The Lord be with you" (or whatever version it was), and then the congregation, "And with your spirit." Wait, what?! I knew I was late, but I wasn't that late! How was mass over already?!

And then I realized that instead of the concluding rite, I had actually walked in on the greeting. So instead of being 10 minutes late for mass, I was only 10 seconds late! I still don't know why they started mass that late, but MAN am I glad I decided to still go! It's been a time of pruning for me lately, I guess you could say, and many days I feel like I'm failing miserably at whatever I'm trying to work on and what God is trying to show me. And well, it's kind of nice when God helps you out! He helps me every day, of course, but today it was really noticeable. :)

John 21:18 -  "Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...