"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Slow down, sista!

Well. I am just baffled sometimes at how darn busy my life can be. I don't get it. Stay-at-home moms have nothing to do, right? Especially when I just have one kid? HA. So funny.

I'm a firm believer that you have time for what you want to make time for...so that phrase "I don't have time" kind of makes me giggle. Yes, there are some days that fly by and you're going from one thing to another. But most days have at least some down time - as long as you make time for it.

Like yesterday. I don't know what happened, but suddenly I was doing 5 things at once - cooking dinner (ok, "preparing" dinner that was already cooked), making muffins, answering phone calls, responding to texts between phone calls, and making sure Landon didn't turn off the oven while I was using it (yeah, his favorite pastime now...press all the buttons on the oven).

Before I knew it, Landon and Logan had eaten dinner without me, I almost forgot about the muffins in the oven, and it was time for Landon to go to bed. How did that happen?!

I feel like I should mention that many of the texts and phone calls were business-related and somewhat time-sensitive, otherwise I would have put them off until later. :) And this is not a typical evening for me...

So yeah. Crazy evening yesterday. Thankfully last night was also my weekly chapel hour, which I so desperately needed. I was definitely making time for that! If you're Catholic (and even if you're not!) and have never had a chapel hour, I totally recommend it - it will change your life. Promise.

Fall is crazy for most people, myself included. I just cringe when I look at my calendar, because the next few months are already full of birthday parties, weddings, trips, family events, and appointments. And that doesn't include my work schedule, babysitting days (did I mention I babysit a couple days a week now?), and church obligations (I teach CCD and that's about to start back up).

My main prayer lately is to truly know what God is asking of me right now and to not spend time on things that He doesn't want me to do. As crazy as it sounds, there are a few things I'm feeling called to but am not exactly sure how that will work into my current schedule. But I know it's all about using our time wisely and making time for the important things.

1. God
2. Logan
3. Landon
4. everything else!

So, so hard sometimes. But it can be done! One step at a time. That may mean no playing soccer right now (or ever again, *sigh*), not crocheting as often as I like, not watching much TV, and forcing myself to sit down and have some quiet time (WHY IS THIS SO HARD?!).

I should also mention that a priest once told me that even though we may feel called to certain things, it might not be what we had in mind. Example: I'm still feeling a pull towards fostering again, but since Logan is not feeling the same calling, I'm thinking maybe it's just because of the babysitting thing. Because some babysitting days I definitely feel like I did in our fostering days! Not necessarily a bad thing, though - there's just many similarities. :)

I'm also trying to remember that just because God is calling us to something, doesn't mean it's going to happen NOW. Example: I first felt God leading us towards fostering in the summer of 2010, and we didn't get our first foster child until May 2011. I was looking through an old journal recently and was amazed at how God just opened doors for us to make the whole fostering thing happen. He certainly guides us to where we need to go. So awesome, I tell ya.

Ok, enough blabbering for now. I don't know if any of this made sense or if you think I'm crazy...just a gal sharing her thoughts! ;)
"It is by staying still, in silence, and possibly for long periods, before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, that we perceive what he wants for us, put aside our own plans to make way for his, and let God's light gradually penetrate the heart and heal it." - Father Raniero Cantalamessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...