"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Following those [sometimes crazy] promptings

You ever heard that story of a man who followed God's promptings, as crazy as they seemed, to buy a gallon of milk? And he ended being led to a random house and giving it to a family who really needed it for their baby at that exact moment?

It's amazing what God will do when you pray for something - which is why I don't like to pray for humility and patience, because God will totally hit me up with more than enough opportunities to practice those virtues. Ha.

What I have been praying for lately is the grace and wisdom to follow God's promptings. And that is a nerve-wracking thing, because what if God tells me to something crazy? Like bring a random family a gallon of milk late at night?

Well. God hasn't asked me to do anything that extreme (yet), but one of the things I definitely started feeling was that He wanted me to stop working (even though I usually just work once a week!). And at first, I was all like "Ummmm, but we need the money! How would that work?!" But the promptings persisted. And then I was like, "But how will my bosses take that? School just started last month!" And yet the promptings persisted. Even though I really do like my job, I started to dread going. It didn't make sense.

At the beginning of this week, I had the opportunity to talk to one of my supervisors, so I decided to just to give her a "heads up" about me feeling like I shouldn't work - and added that I was still praying about it.....and she totally understood. Thankfully, I have the most flexible bosses ever because I can tell them when I can and can't work, and they are totally fine with that. So while I will probably still tell them when I'm available, I won't work unless they don't have anybody else other than me to fill in.

That was Monday. Then Tuesday rolls around, and Logan was unexpectedly asked if he wants to start working one day a week for a small company. And I couldn't help but think how perfect the timing was because I was still wondering how the heck we would make things work financially. At this point, we very much need me to work at least a little (it really all depends on the month and how much in tips Logan makes). But now, if Logan works occasionally at another job, I think we may be able to swing it!

So yeah. Seemed crazy at first that God doesn't want me to work, but that's just because I didn't know what was coming next. God always knows! This quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. really hits home: "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
Proverbs 3:6 - In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...