"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Why I almost gave up Facebook...but didn't

Oh, Facebook, I have a love/hate relationship with thee.

I remember when I first joined Facebook back in 2005. Not many people were on it, since it was open to college students only. My, how it has changed! Now anyone can sign up.

I do like connecting with old friends - as well as new friends - on Facebook. It's neat to see how everyone from high school has grown up. And it's neat to see what's going on in peoples' lives.

But what I don't like is how it's a time-sucker. Seriously. I can log in for a minute and suddenly 10 minutes has gone by. Ten minutes I could have spent washing the dishes, playing with Landon, reading, or something else far more productive. And what did I accomplish instead? I now know that one "friend" is having a really bad day. I learned that another "friend" is on vacation...lucky them. I also learned that yet another "friend" has a cat. Oh wait, nevermind....I knew about the cat. Because a picture is posted practically every day.

So yeah.

I'm the type of person who likes to run away from things when it gets too overwhelming (not proud of it, buuuut it's true). House is a mess? Don't even bother trying to clean, it'll never get done. Arguing with Logan? Tell him to hush and leave me alone. Landon running around like crazy and making a big ol' mess in the process? Hide in the bathroom. (Kidding about that last one. Sounded good, though.)

So Facebook was getting too overwhelming for me. Too many selfies, too many people venting, too many people posting their opinions about world events, and too many people with wayyyyy too much time on their hands that post every.single.detail. about their life. Ain't nobody got time fo' that. (And if you do have time for that, please tell me how! When do you clean your house? When do you pay bills? When do you run errands? Curious minds want to know!)

I wanted to just delete my account and be done with it. More time on my hands, less drama. It'd be easier to focus on what God wants me to focus on. Plus, if people really wanted to know what was going on with me, they could email/call/text me. Or follow my ridiculous blog. ;)

But something stopped me.

One of the books I'm reading right now (and I say "one" because I have a terrible habit of reading 5 books at one time) mentioned a quote by St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross:

"I even believe that the deeper one is drawn into God, the more one must 'go out of oneself'; that is, one must go to the world in order to carry the divine life into it." (emphasis mine) - Edith Stein, St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross 
Welllllll. Suddenly my eyes were opened and I realized that instead of focusing on Facebook as a mostly negative thing, I needed to see its potential. It can most definitely be an evangelizing tool. I'm not saying I can convert people or anything, but we shouldn't underestimate the power of social media. I know there have been times that I've posted a quote or Scripture verse and had at least one person who really needed to see it at the time. And I also know that other people have posted articles and things that really had a positive impact on me. Plus, I'm a member of a couple mommy Facebook groups that have been really encouraging.

And of course I should mention that Facebook is only a time-sucker when I let it be. I've started to limit my time on it, the app is currently deleted from my phone, and I resist the urge to sign in right before bed. Because really, nothing life-changing is going to happen that can't wait until the morning.

It all goes back to disciple and self-control, and whether or not I'm going to let a silly website occupy too much of my time. It's easy to blame it all on Facebook when I can't seem to get anything done around the house. When really, it's my own fault for letting it be a distraction.

For the record, my house is now [relatively] clean, and I'm not stressing about where the heck time went....because I know it wasn't spent on Facebook. At least not in the last week or so ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...