"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Week 20: halfway! I want off the roller coaster, please.

Part of me can't believe I'm halfway through this pregnancy already (well, technically more than halfway since I won't be going to my due date), and the other part of me is all like WHEN WILL THIS END?

I had an appointment with Dr. C and we did an ultrasound as usual. And I'm still a little baffled as to what exactly happened because she seemed very optimistic, even though she said a couple of scary-sounding things and I just don't know.

So! First thing…Dr. C saw a tiny hole in Chase's heart. I've learned by now that when she (or the tech) is measuring something over and over and over again, it means something's up. So I wasn't completely surprised when she told me about the hole, because I knew she was looking at the heart and I knew she kept measuring a gap over and over and over.

She actually thinks it's a good thing about the hole, because a hole in the heart can be fixed, as opposed to a chromosome issue - which cannot be fixed. She's still been worried about a chromosomal abnormality, and she said a hole in the heart would explain why Chase's neck was thick back in January. I didn't ask if that ruled out a chromosomal issue, though.

I do have a fetal echo scheduled next month, so I'm assuming we will know more after that. Dr. C did say Chase might need surgery to close the hole after birth. Seems a little scary but it sounds like it's pretty common.

Aaaand just to add a little extra something, Dr. C said my placenta looks "yucky." I didn't know what she meant by that so she clarified by saying it looks old and that we just need to keep an eye on it. But I'm still taking progesterone and she said that it should help my placenta. Honestly, the placenta part worries me more at this point, because HELLO, that's Chase's lifeline right now. But of course, the heart thing is a little nerve-wracking, too - although I'm not freaking out right now because I'm just tired of this damn roller coaster ride and nothing is surprising at this point.

I mean that in the best way possible. Just saying.

But we love our baby boy! Please keep praying for him (and for our sanity as well)!

3 comments:

  1. Something I learned while working at Heart Camp...congenital heart defects are the most common type of congenital abnormality. Apparently 1 in 100 babies are born with heart defects, and that statistic is probably at least a few years old and it could be even more than that. We were also taught that heart defects were more common than all forms of childhood cancers combined. So, what I'm trying to say here is that you're probably right when your doctor implies that Chase's abnormality is "common" as those go, and the procedure is likely to be pretty well refined, too. But hey, you're a nurse, and you probably knew all of that already. And speaking of Heart Camp...that could be a fun adventure, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! The statistic probably is more than that now because technology gets better and better (which means more diagnoses, I'm sure). I love how you've gotten so much medical knowledge working at the different camps!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...