"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

5 faves (vol.5) - new habits that save my sanity

It's been awhile since I linked up, and now there's a new host for 5 favorites! Jenna at Call Her Happy. I actually follow her blog anyway so it's alllll good.

So, I've been trying to make life simpler and thought I'd share 5 new favorite "habits" that have been helping me not feel so overwhelmed with life. Here we gooooo.

1. Keep the kitchen sink empty.
I know, I know, this sounds weird. But let me tell you, the rest of my house can be a MESS, and I will feel great about life as long as my kitchen sink is clean. Because for some reason keeping up with the dishes makes me more motivated to keep the counters clean, and a clean kitchen means a happy Jen. Also, a clean kitchen sink somehow motivates me to just clean everything else (doesn't always happen, because, um, baby and toddler rule my life, but you know).

2. Don't start a new load of laundry until you fold what's already in the dryer.
Yet again, sounds weird. But I will get so into doing load after load without actually folding anything…and then I want to run away from the mountains of clean laundry. So! I make sure everything clean is already folded before running another load. It's a good motivator to actually fold, because hello! We do need clean underwear and that's not happening until the towels are folded.

3. Crockpot it up, baby.
I'm not ashamed to say we typically have the same meals over and over, especially if it's in the crockpot - don't fix what's not broken, right? Our absolute favorite is so, so simple - chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa in the crockpot for 6 hours on low. Then serve on tortillas with cheese. We also tend to add refried beans to our tacos to make the meat stretch (because chicken is expensive, yo). My favorite part is how I can throw everything in at lunch time and leave it - then it's ready by dinner time. Win win (especially if Logan is working the evening shift…dinner can sit there until I'm ready!).

4. Eat some now, freeze some for later.
With most things I bake/cook, I'll freeze some to save time in the kitchen later. Make 2 dozens of blueberry muffins? Keep 1 dozen out for quick breakfast food and freeze the other dozen. Made a big pot of spaghetti? Freeze half for another night. You get the idea!

5. Keep the TV off and the laptop closed.
This one is probably the hardest but makes the most difference. Yes, I feel like I deserve to watch an episode on Netflix if both boys are miraculously napping at the same time, buuuuut I usually feel guilty with things still on my to-do list. And I feel much better about life if I use that precious quiet time to pray, read, write, or catch up on housework.

Hope these help you too! Got any other tips for me?

3 comments:

  1. I love this...may need to save it for later, even. I have some "rules" for keeping the house too. Unfortunately, the husband can't seem to get in the habit of doing things the way I would like. I think I should probably let that go... but it's so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, let it go girl. I know it's hard! Just focus on the fact that Alex actually helps out around the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right...That's probably my biggest issue (being so nitpicky with him). He does SO much around the house, more than my daddy ever did. It's incredible.
    Lauren
    Breaking The Mold


    Subject: Re: New comment posted on Into Your Will: 5 faves (vol.5) - new habits that save my sanity

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...