"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A new year

I started a 2014 recap post and haven't finished yet but I will finish it. I will. But not today...

Last year I chose a word of the year. And it was the perfect word for 2014, which really was a roller coaster year. Highest of the highs and lowest of the lows. I really had so much to trust God about, and wow, everything really did turn out fine in the end! Chase was okay, our bills were paid (we managed to pay $9,000 in medical bills! God provides!), and in the end, we were just really thankful that we got through the year still standing.

I thought picking another "word of the year" was a good idea, and apparently so did God because He let it pop into my head earlier today. Sacrifice.

I didn't like it, honestly. Really, God, don't you think I sacrifice enough?

But then I realized that God was asking more of me. Yes, I sacrifice on a daily basis as I take care of my husband and children. I change diapers, I cook, I clean, I don't get a full nights sleep, and I have to do it it all even when I'm not feeling well.

That's just the beginning, though. It's very humbling (and embarrassing) to admit it, but…I don't do all of those things with a sacrificial heart. I do it in a "nobody ever appreciates everything that I do around here" way. So my goal for this year is to take joy in sacrificing for my family. Because really, there's nobody else in the world that I'd rather make sacrifices for other than my husband and children. They deserve everything that I do for them. And I know they'd appreciate things a lot more if I wasn't so whiny/complainy/grumpy about doing them!

I also have another goal for the year when it comes to sacrifice. It's to stretch myself when it comes to relationships with other people. I have a lot of wonderful people in my life, and I want to do more to show them how much I appreciate and love them. That means doing the little things - inviting more people over, dropping off food/treats for friends having a bad day, and just really making the extra effort. Even when I don't want to (especially when I don't want to)!

And while I'm on the subject of this new year, over a week ago I picked a patron saint of the year using this saint's name generator. Blessed Chiara Badano popped up. So she's not exactly a saint yet, but I'm still glad I got her because her life was amazing. And when I was just reading her bio again, I realized that she lived the kind of life that I need to strive for - doing all sorts of things for other people, from giving her toys away to something as simple as writing a letter.

It really is the little things sometimes. So here we go, 2015…here's to a year of sacrifice and love!

Blessed Chiara Badano, pray for us!
"You cannot love a thing without wanting to fight for it." - G.K. Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...