"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Motherhood and prayer

I read A Mother's Rule of Life when Landon was a baby, and after drowning in life the last couple of months, I figured I should reread it.

If you haven't read it, and you're a mom (especially of littles), you should. It's based on the idea that there are 5 P's - prayer, person, partner, parent, and provider. Prayer is the first priority and provider is the last. I read the chapter on prayer a few weeks ago, and as much as I would love to fly through the rest of the book, I'm trying to get the prayer part down first. I'm not sure if that's what Holly intended when she wrote the book…but I figure slowly and surely is best.

We all know prayer should be our first priority, but it's something about motherhood that tends to push prayer to the back burner - perhaps it's the endless diaper changes and the fact that it's nearly impossible to have 2 minutes to yourself. Heck, I can't even use the bathroom without a certain toddler interrupting. Not to mention my baby still isn't sleeping through the night so most days I feel like completely out of it. Especially when said baby decides to not nap well either.

So. I'm really trying to make my prayer life the priority, and I figured I'd blog about it since I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with prayer amidst the chaos of motherhood. Stay tuned for my thoughts/experiences with the rosary, Liturgy of the Hours, and who knows what else. Maybe I'll sound crazy, and maybe I won't…but we're all in this together. Right?

Lent will be here before we know it (17 days! what?!)! 

"Prayer is the most powerful weapon a Christian has. Prayer makes us effective. Prayer makes us happy. Prayer gives us all the strength that we need to fulfill God’s commands. Yes, indeed, your whole life can and should be a prayer." – St. Josemaria Escriva

2 comments:

  1. I like this - thank you. Things have been kind of tough on our end, and I'm thinking of giving up FB for Lent (not because it's cliche, but because I think it will REALLY help the aches of my soul). Sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...