"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, March 16, 2015

A visit to the eye doctor….and some rambling

When I went to a new eye doctor recently, I had a couple surprisingly pleasant conversations with people and thought I'd share...because unfortunately it seems rare these days to actually enjoy talking to someone you just met. I know I have friends with so.many.stories. of rude and disrespectful things complete strangers have said to them! So how about a little positivity?!

The lady doing all the initial exam stuff and picking new contacts for me was very friendly and probably in her 40s or 50s. I left the occupation part of my paperwork blank (I haven't worked since I got pregnant with Chase, and there's no plans of returning at this point), so I'm assuming that's what prompted her to ask me if I was a stay-at-home mom. When she found out that I was, she exclaimed, "Oh good! I love hearing that."

I wish I was kidding when this was one of the few times anyone has looked positively at me being a stay-at-home mom. Normally the responses are "Must be nice" or "I could never do that" or "What do you do all day?!"

I have many things I could say to those comments, but this is a positive post. :)

So! The nice lady asked about breastfeeding since I had checked the "pregnant or nursing" box (I'm still nursing some…and not pregnant, just to clarify), so we started talking about my kids and all. Somehow that led to talking about ultrasounds and having high risk pregnancies and how I lost my first baby. 

Now, I don't usually tell people I just met that my first baby didn't make it because 99% of people don't know how to respond to that, especially when when they find out I knew I was having a boy and that it happened relatively far into the pregnancy. But somehow I knew this lady could handle it. And how refreshing it is to be able to talk to someone about new life and death all within 10 minutes and not feel completely awkward.

Then the doctor came in to check my eyes (they're perfect by the way...I'm nearsighted but they're healthy otherwise!). He asked me if I ever considered Lasik surgery to which I responded "Not really" and said how the thought of it kind of freaks me out. Because, um, it's my eyes.

He replied, "...and you're a mom?" As if surely nothing could bother me since I deal with bodily fluids all day. Which is true. So I said with a laugh, "I'm a nurse too! Well, I was. I stay home now."

Let me tell you, without a beat, this man turned and looked at me in the eyes and said, "You're still a nurse. Once a nurse, always a nurse."

Again, I wish I was kidding when I said this was a rare thing...someone not looking down on me for giving up a career (one with lots of potential, I might add) and still recognizing that I will always have my college degree, even if I don't use it (as an employee…all that knowledge definitely comes in handy as a mom).

All of that being said, I don't mind being considered "just a mom". Of course, I'm much more than that! But there's nothing else I'd rather do than be at home with my kids. I know God has called me to this vocation, as crazy as it seems sometimes (finances and all), and I've really been trying lately to embrace it wholeheartedly - in the midst of blowout diapers, temper tantrums, and the inability to use the bathroom without the baby crying or the toddler busting through door. Heck, the dog has been adding to the fun lately by pooping on my freshly mopped floors.

But oh, how much better all of these seemingly inconvenient things are when you look at life as something to enjoy rather than to just get through.

It really is a beautiful life, this whole mothering thing, and what makes it even more beautiful is when people (including strangers!) recognize that too and are supportive of it. I realize that not everyone is called to be at home with their kids all day, every day….and that's okay. I certainly don't judge anyone for it.

Because after all, we're all doing what we think is best for our families. And for me, right now (because I know very well things could change), I'm called to be with these guys:

And I wouldn't trade it for anything.
"You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins." – Jim Stovall

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this! (Yeah, I know I love almost everything you post.) It is beautiful to hear others encouraging moms like you along the way. I have a sneaking suspicion it's because we live in the most prolife state in the nation, but MAN - if other states would embrace this culture as well as we do...this country would be a very different place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know...I think about Levi and imagine photos of your three boys together occasionally too... No doubt is he settled into "the good life" praying for the rest of his family to join him. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...