"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, April 2, 2015

When Holy Week isn't what you think it will be

I would love to say I have this totally inspiring post about how God is pushing me to the limit this Holy Week and that I'm learning so much. But, I don't.

Can I just be honest here?

This week has been a good one. And I kind of feel bad saying that, because I have a couple friends who are having a really, really rough week.

I'm also still in disbelief because Holy Week has always been pretty difficult (pregnancy shenanigans last year is one example). So I keep waiting for things to blow up in my face.

Well….things haven't blown up. It's been a nice, quiet week, and I can honestly say that I'm really looking forward to mass tonight and service tomorrow (if I decide to brave it with the kids by myself - Logan has to work), and of course Easter morning (because we can't go to vigil - Logan has to work again). And I'm not just glad the Easter Triduum is here because I'm just so over Lent. I'm not over it, actually. It's been a hard one, yes, but it has been more fruitful than any other previous Lent, for which I am very grateful.

So I've spent most of this week feeling a little guilty about having a relatively easy Holy Week, but today it dawned on me that there is a reason for this. I've been able to be there for those friends who are not having an easy week. I know I would not have been able to really, really support them and pray for them like I have been if I was too wrapped up in my own problems (because I have a tendency to do that, sad to say).

As I've been praying the rosary and focusing on the Sorrowful Mysteries (which has been such a powerful thing this week as we anticipate the Passion of Christ), I've thought a lot about Jesus embracing his cross. The Carrying of the Cross is my favorite mystery, out of all 20 of them, and I usually think about how I need to embrace my own cross like Jesus did.

But today, I thought about Simon. He helped Jesus carry the cross, and I know that in the big picture Simon's role wasn't life-changing…but he did play an important role to show us that we all need to be like Simon. That we all need to help someone else carry their cross when they just can't do it by themselves.

"Bear one another’s burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ." – Galatians 6:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...