"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, May 29, 2015

The Power of the Holy Spirit

I should have written this for Pentecost, but…I'm slacking.

The nine days leading up to Pentecost Sunday, I prayed the Novena to the Holy Spirit. And it was awesome. My intention was for our family to be guided by Holy Spirit to know what God is calling us to do right now. Just in every aspect of life - jobs, finances, new endeavors, volunteer work, parenting, etc. It's a long list, really.

I could definitely sense the Holy Spirit working during those nine days, but looking back, I'm realizing just how the Holy Spirit works, especially in oh so very subtle ways.

One example: I've been thinking about putting Landon in some sort of preschool. I'm hoping to homeschool when it's time, but I'm not ruling out public school because God likes to change things up on me a lot. Plus, I really see Landon as the type of kid to enjoy going to school so I kind of felt like I needed to at least look into it.

So I looked into a few programs but just really didn't find one that fit our schedule, needs and budget. It was a little depressing, because I had started to like the idea of him going somewhere 2-3 days a week for a few hours. But every time I thought about putting Landon in one of those programs, I got this really anxious feeling.

God doesn't want us to be anxious. I truly, truly believe that when we are doing the will of God, we will be at peace. Complete peace. Sure, we might have the occasional moment of doubt…but deep down, there's peace. Which is exactly what I felt when I thought about Landon staying home with me next year. It might be a completely different story one year from now, but I'm thankful that the Holy Spirit helped me make a decision for this year.

I've also noticed that I suddenly get these seemingly random ideas for our family that end up being pretty darn awesome. I would love to take credit for those ideas but I know it's just the Holy Spirit.

And then there are times where I get these really strong feelings about something. Example: I brought Chase to the eye doctor this week and was originally planning on dropping off Landon at my cousin's house beforehand. But for some reason, I kept getting this feeling that it would be easier to just bring Landon with me, which sounds a little crazy because he is a strong-willed toddler. And I wasn't sure what to expect at the eye doctor because I've never brought a baby before…but I just really kept feeling like I should bring Landon too. So I ended up bringing both boys together and it was totally fine and actually a really good thing because one of my cousin's kids ended up sick the morning I was supposed to drop Landon off.

Seemingly trivial things in the big picture, of course, but I don't really feel like sharing the bigger examples on this here blog right now.

So, what I'm really getting at is this: Ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit. You won't be disappointed!
 "Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." ~Philippians 4:6-7

9 comments:

  1. I follow a million blogs, too! Like, maybe hundreds... But I'm really bad about actually commenting, so much of the time I just read everything as quickly as possible to check it off my list! Definitely need to get more intentional about not using internet time like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, exactly! I'm trying to be better about focusing on less blogs so I can comment more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly Hancock TisorMay 29, 2015 at 10:48 PM

    You're so right, Jen, that you need to let the Holy Spirit lead and you'll have peace. We just completed our 5th year of homeschooling, but the wind left my sails and I'm done...for now. I currently plan for all 3 of our children to attend public school in the fall. I believe it's the Holy Spirit guiding. My children may be home with me again in the future...I'm open. Wherever He leads, I'll go. :-) Are you familiar with www.praymorenovenas.com?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a strong willed 3 year old named Landon as well(is it the name??) & I've been on the fence about sending him to preschool. Well, my husband's grandma offered to pay for some of the cost & now I am at peace about sending him to preschool. I've realized it will help all of us out. I have a 2 year old that he loves stealing toys away from & a 2 month old. I know that putting him in a structured environment will help him a lot. The strong willed personality is a tough one to parent... This post really hits home with me. Just this last weekend our priest gave a homily about letting the holy spirit in, letting the holy spirit help guide your life. That is exactly what I need in my life, guidance from the holy spirit. Thank you for this! Being a momma to 3 Kids 3 and under is tough! Without my faith I don't think I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally hear ya, things can change and that's okay! Yes, I'm signed up with praymorenovenas.com and it's the reason I actually remember to pray the entire 9 days :) I'm so terrible and remembering that kind of thing so it's been a great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, maybe it IS the name ;) That's so awesome that everything fell into place for your family! I so agree, our faith really is the basis for everything. As time goes on and our family grows, I'm realizing that God gives us the graces we need at the exact time we need it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make a very good point, Amy! So many times I feel lost about what to do, and I really need to remember in those moments to ask for help from the Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am SO behind on reading too! Being out of town for work for three weeks in June is going to kill me in the BLovin world. And yes it is HOT. But...if you're in need of cute/nice shorts, check out New York and Company. A year ago, I got two pair for 50% off and then a few weeks ago I got two more for 40% off but they were 50% off when my mom and I passed by over the weekend. I feel like they're a good length (short enough to be comfortable, but not too short to be appropriate) and they have a ton of cute colors and designs. Plus, their 50% off price is somewhere around $20 (maybe less?) so it's pretty fair cost-wise too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the heads up! I seriously never think to look for clothes anywhere other than Target and Old Navy. It's sad, really. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...