"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, September 20, 2015

What I'm reading and how I'm reading more

Y'all. I read TWO WHOLE BOOKS this week. I honestly can't remember the last time I did that.

After being quite an avid reader for most of my life, I let reading fall to the wayside after Landon was born. I really thought I didn't have time to read anymore. (hahahaha...me dumb)

Turns out I do have time to read! I'm learning that you make time for what you want to make time for....and reading has become one of those things for me. And I love it. For me, a good book is relaxing, and since I tend to read more nonfiction, I learn a lot. So that makes me feel productive. (And it also might make me sound like a nerd. I'm okay with that.)


Modern Mrs. Darcy's reading challenge definitely kickstarted my reading streak this year. It's made me read one book a month and has also stretched me by having to pick books I wouldn't normally have picked (due to the specific categories). But I'm so thankful for that, because now I'm reading from more genres! Here's a rundown of the books I've picked and what I've read so far:
  1. A book you've been meaning to read - The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham. I bought this at a used book store forever ago because I love the movie but I never got around to reading it. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed because it's actually realllllly different from the movie as far as the end of the story goes. I like the movie a million times better! (That's not normally the case for me.)
  2. A book published this year - Simply Tuesday by Emily Freeman. I just finished this one, and while it wasn't what I was expecting, I did like it. It's just the kind of book I needed to read right now as I'm trying to live simply and embrace where I'm at in life right now.
  3. A book in a genre you don't typically read - Jesus the Bridegroom by Dr. Brant Pitre. I've listened to a bunch of Dr. Pitre's talks, but this was the first of his books that I've read. And it was amazing, and I totally recommend reading it during Lent.
  4. A book from your childhood - Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Need I say more? I'm ready to reread the rest of the series now!
  5. A book your mom loves - The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I had read this before and enjoyed reading it again!
  6. A book that was originally written in a different language - Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset. I've finished 2 of the 3 books (it's a trilogy), and I'm enjoying it much more than I was expecting. 
  7. A book "everyone" has read but youThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. One of my favorite books now (like I mentioned before). 
  8. A book you chose because of the cover - Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay. I haven't gotten to this one yet, but I'm looking forward to it! I'll probably start this soon.
  9. A book by your favorite author - The Antelope in the Living Room by Melanie Shankle. I used to read Melanie's blog, and she is hilarious. I literally laughed out loud the entire time I read this.
  10. A book recommended by someone with great taste - In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden. I've seen this mentioned on several blogs lately, so I hope this one delivers! I'm reading it next month, I think.
  11. A book you should have read in high school - undecided....either The Island of the Blue Dolphins (Scott O'Dell) or A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens), perhaps? I've been having both of them on my shelf forever. So maybe I should just read both...
  12. A book that's currently on the bestseller list - also undecided since I'm waiting to check the bestseller list when I'm ready to read this one! Which will probably be in December.
Annnnd just in case you're interested, here are some other factors that have contributed to my increased reading time lately:
  • Kindle Paperwhite. I love it. It's so light and portable that I keep it in my purse/bag wherever I go in case I have a few extra minutes to read.
  • Less TV, more reading
  • A few small pockets of time add up - read while I eat, read a few minutes before bed, read during nap time, read while the kids are playing nicely (since I want them to see me read too!), etc.
  • Listening to the Read Aloud Revival podcast - okay, so this is more about reading to your kids, but it's also inspiring me to read more myself!
Okay, I'm off to read now! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...