"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

My favorite books that I read this year (5Faves)

I could blog about how I fell asleep on the couch last night at 8:30pm, woke up at 10:30pm, and then threw up my dinner. Bleh. Or how I'm starting to wonder if I'm already having Braxton-Hicks contractions. (I'M ALMOST 11 WEEKS, PEOPLE. 11 WEEKS.) But I'm sure you'd rather read about books, right? Right? I'm starting to realize why most women don't blog during the first trimester....

This year I read SO MANY BOOKS compared to previous years, so I feel like that qualifies me to write about the 5 books I loved most this year. (I should say that these are books that I read for the first time.) It was hard to narrow it down to 5, but here we go.

Linking up with Ashley for 5Faves! Go do the same. :)


1. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset
It took me half the year, but I did it! And it was so worth it. I love how people in 14th century Norway are so similar to us now. Different problems...but the same problems too. I can't say I loved Kristin's character, or Erlend's for that matter, but I was fond of a couple others and really appreciated the Catholic culture dispersed throughout the entire book. The second book of the trilogy was a bit slow in the beginning, but just push through, mmkay? I will be reading this again one day, for sure. (Not anytime soon, but eventually!)


2. The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
I mentioned this in a previous 5Faves post but it really is probably one of my favorite books now. It kind of goes along with the whole theme of my blog!


3. My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir by Colleen Carroll Campbell
I also mentioned this one before, too. I'm a fan of big memoirs (if it's not obvious from this list, maybe because I want to write one someday too?) and this was unique in the fact that she talked about several awesome saints, many of which I now want to learn more about!


4. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Well. I don't know what to say about this book because in the words of my sister-in-law, "This one will haunt me for awhile." It's definitely on the sad side, as most WWII books are, but the writing is lovely and I really fell in love with the characters.


5. The Antelope in the Living Room: The Real Story of Two People Sharing One Life by Melanie Shankle
I have to include this because there aren't too many books that make me literally laugh out loud over and over. I used to read Melanie's blog, Big Mama, and she's hilarious. If you're looking for an easy, fun, and quick read, this one's for you. I read it on our beach vacation and it was perfect.

What favorite books did you read this year??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...