"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, January 11, 2016

Maybe I'm a little ambitious (books to read in 2016)

My sister-in-law and I did a reading challenge last year and it really got me reading a lot again. So this year, we decided to make our own challenge with a few friends! And in case you want to follow along, here's the handy dandy graphic we made:
Six of us each picked a category from Modern Mrs. Darcy's 2015 list and then made one of our own. (MDM also posted another challenge for this year if you want to check out that one. I'll probably do some of those categories too.) Just FYI, check out this link to see all the books Rory Gilmore has read on screen. 

I highly, highly recommend enlisting a friend (or 5) to do the challenge with because 1) accountability and 2) it's fun sharing good book recommendations! My group of friends have a text message thread going with what book we're reading for each month.

And now here's where I remind you of where I also decided to try to read 50 books this year. I'm not picking all of those now, but I have picked many of them! Many of these are books and ebooks that I've been having forever (most I got for free or very cheap) and am finally going to get around to reading them. So I'll share those here...and you can tell me if I should take one off or add one. Mmkay? Okay. Oh, and I'm just dividing them by categories, not by month, because I read certain books based on my mood. (And sorry, not including links because it would take FOREVER.)


Marriage

Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs - I have to admit my motivation to read this is mostly due to the fact that I finally want to declutter it off my bookshelf!

Becoming Your Spouse's Better Half by Rick Johnson


Parenting

The Temperament God Gave Your Kids by Art and Laraine Bennett - is this one worth it to buy?? Our library doesn't have it. I could borrow it from a friend though...

Boys Will Be Joys by Dave Meurer

Teaching in Your Tiara by Rebecca Frech


Spiritual/Catholic

The Little Oratory by David Clayton and Leila Marie Lawler - this is my book for January, "a book you've been meaning to read." I'm liking it!

Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer by Thomas Dubay - I finished this yesterday and can honestly say it's life-changing.

The Perfect Joy of St. Francis by Felix Timmermans

A Father Who Keeps His Promises by Scott Hahn - I read half of this several years ago until it got misplaced so I'm motivated to read the entire thing this time!

The Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Jesus

The Everyday Catholic's Guide to the Liturgy of the Hours by Daria Sockey

Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Gurnard

The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Monfort - trying to finish this one finally!

True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort


Fiction

In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden - okay, so technically this was supposed to be a 2015 read, and I did start it then...but I finished it in 2016 so I'm going to count it for this year. One of my favorite books ever now! And that's saying something since I'm not a big fiction person.

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder - I read Little House on the Prairie last year (I know it's the 2nd of the series) so I'm backtracking and reading the 1st...and maybe a couple of the other ones too. They were some of my favorite books as a kid!

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

The Martian by Andy Weir - I loved the movie so hopefully the book won't disappoint!

Lizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (audiobook)...as well as the rest of the series. I reread (well, listened to) the first 3 last year! The audiobooks are SO good. So happy my library has them!

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis (audiobook)...and perhaps the rest of the series. I have the actual books but might just continue to borrow the audiobooks from my library instead. I'm currently listening to this one!

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (another reread)

Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry


Non-fiction/memoir/I don't know

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - we watched the movie before I realized it was based on a book and I've heard so many good things about this!

Nobody is Cuter than You by Melanie Shankle

Hands Free Life by Rachel Macy Stafford - finished this yesterday too!

Undone by Michele Cushatt


So that's over half of the 50 and a good starting place for now. Maybe if I'm a good blogger I can post an update in the middle of the year. Ha! Wish me luck. (I've totally read 3 already and over halfway done another, so that's a good start, right?? Can't promise I'll keep up the momentum, but we we will see!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...