"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, February 26, 2016

Making a rule of life work for you {intro}

I've probably mentioned a time or two the book by Holly Pierlot, A Mother's Rule of Life. It's one of my favorite books that I've read several times because it has transformed my life. Every time life feels like it's falling apart again, I refer back to this book because the basic principles need to be drilled back into my head. One day, I hope, I won't need to read this book every year or two. That day is not today though.

A lot of people who read this book get hung up on Holly's schedule. She has every hour of every day mapped out. And that freaks a lot of people out. I totally get it.

I, for one, have never been able to make a rigid schedule work out. Things happen – diaper blowouts, toddler tantrums, I realize we need to go to the store TODAY otherwise we starve, etc. Not to mention Logan's irregular work schedule (he works weekends, as well as different shifts). Sometimes a schedule causes more stress than it's worth (for some people, like me!).

Maybe once all my kids can wipe their own butts and can fix their own food, a schedule will work. I've tried it enough times, though, to know that it does not work right now.

But! I've come to realize that I can have a “rule of life” - AKA a way of prioritizing my life/vocation – without a schedule. It all starts with the 5 P's:

  1. Prayer
  2. Person
  3. Partner
  4. Parent
  5. Provider

Holly goes through all of these in her book, dedicating a chapter to each, and I thought I'd do a little blog series - my first ever! hollerrr - on what I've done to help keep these 5 P's in this order in my life. (I'm totally still learning as I go though!)

If there was one thing I would tell someone who is reading this book (and I actually do tell people this all the time), it'd be to focus on the 5 P's first. Then, if a schedule seems to work for your personality – as well as your family's – then slowly work on creating one after the fact. But don't get caught up on a schedule, because I don't have one and my life is still orderly. Okay? Okay.

(I need to say that I wrote this post before I was pregnant, and while life certainly fell apart while I was stuck on the couch trying not to puke for a couple months, things have slowly gotten back to normal. And our life is still pretty orderly, all things considering, even though I have to take it pretty easy for the entire pregnancy. But I'll explain more about how that's possible in a later post.)

Just keep in mind that order and peace won't happen overnight. It'll likely take months, which is okay, because habits take awhile to form and it's totally worth it. So just like creating and implementing a rule of life takes several months, this series will likely be spread over months as well. But we're all in this together!


Stay tuned for the next series post on the 1st P...prayer.


UPDATE! Link to posts:
1st P, Prayer
2nd P, Person

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...