"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

5 ways to foster a love for the Rosary

It still amazes me, with as many times as I've prayed the rosary, that I still gain new insights into the mysteries. I suppose that's why they're called mysteries - there's so much to them that you can't possibly understand them completely this side of Heaven. And if you're having a hard time getting excited about praying the rosary, hopefully this post will help!

(This post literally popped into my head right after I prayed the rosary...the power of the rosary, y'all.)

1. Figure out your favorite method.

There are so many ways to pray the rosary - by yourself inside your own head (my preference), aloud with others, listening to a CD, etc. Don't be afraid to try a new way or even to mix things up a bit if you're finding your current way is leaving something to be desired. Our prayer life can change. It's okay, I promise!


2. Read books about the rosary.

Man, there are some good books about the rosary. I'm currently going (very slowly) through St. Louis de Montfort's The Secret of the Rosary, and while it can be hard to read sometimes, some of the quotes are so inspiring.
"For never will anyone who says his Rosary every day become a formal heretic or be led astray by the devil." (page 62)
If you're needing some motivation to pray the rosary, read a book about it (especially ones written by saints), or read about a saint who had a devotion to the rosary, or listen to a CD (I recommend this one by Dr. Brant Pitre).


3. Create more silence in your life.

Watch less TV, get off social media, and turn off the radio in the car. Do whatever you can to have more silence. Then when you do pray the rosary, you'll be more used to silence and will be able to focus more on the mysteries. I know it's so easy to get distracted!


4. Have rosaries everywhere.

I have a rosary in my van (and Logan has one in his vehicle), one on my nightstand, one in my purse, and lately I've been wearing a rosary bracelet too. Plus we have rosaries on our family's prayer table, which are often scattered around the house, thanks to a certain 1-year old and 3-year old. It's easier to pray the rosary often when you have easy access to one - not to mention constantly seeing those beads will bring your mind to it.


5. Don't give up.

Pray it often, and don't be discouraged by (what feels like) one lousy rosary. Or maybe even five lousy rosaries. The devil wants you to quit. I've gone through many periods of praying a daily rosary, and this current one (over a year now) is by far my longest because I refused to give up. And now my daily rosary is what gets me through each day and has helped me grow closer to Jesus and His Blessed Mother. They just love us so, so much!

-----
Linking up with Ashley for 5 Favorites! (And yay, I won her February prize pack!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...