"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, March 7, 2016

God knows what we need...and the devil wants to ruin that

When I was pregnant with Chase, we went on our first marriage retreat. It was awesome, and I kicked myself for not having done that sooner in our marriage. I should also mention that I just so happened to be 22 weeks pregnant at the time, which is the most nerve-wracking point of pregnancy for us because of my history. So it was just a much-needed weekend all around.

It's so, so easy to let our marriage drop down on our list of priorities. Even if you're good about going on dates occasionally, I still think we need to do more! Like a retreat. :)

We wanted to go on another retreat before Aaron is born, and there was really only one weekend that worked for us. But God made it happen! This past weekend was so wonderful...and it just so happened that I was 22 weeks pregnant. Again. How crazy is that? We certainly didn't plan on it, but God just has a way of working things out even better than you expected. We just have to let Him.

So! Marriage retreat. I just have to reiterate again how lovely it was, probably even better than the last one, and how I think every married couple should go on one every year or two (every two years has worked for us because we keep having babies and I don't like leaving them in their first year of life). This past weekend there were couples of varying ages - one husband said he was 69 years old! So in addition to it being really nice to talk to your spouse without any distractions, it was also inspiring to see couples 40 years ahead of us still happily married. They were encouraged by us, and we were encouraged by them. Such a beautiful thing.

And do I even need to mention the no cleaning or cooking for 2 days? Yes. I do. Also, the grounds we stayed on were beautiful!

 We had to take the same picture from 2 years ago....
If you're in the New Orleans area, or even a few hours away, I highly recommend attending the Willwoods Community retreats. You have plenty of "couple reflection time" where you can go wherever to talk with your spouse - this was our favorite spot! Plus the speakers were awesome, there was Mass both days, and we even got to go to Confession, Adoration, and Vespers with the monks at the Abbey. Alllll in the same day!

Logan and I had some good talks about our marriage and family and changes we want to make, and I know it probably wouldn't have happened had we not gone on this retreat. It was such a blessing. (Have I convinced you to go on one yet?? I hope so!)

But I should also say that I woke up this morning - first day back in reality - to this: 1) Chase who took off his poopy diaper in his bed for the first time ever, and 2) Landon running a fever. The devil really wants to ruin the progress we made this past weekend, just like he wants to ruin our marriages and our family life. Don't let him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...