"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Making a rule of life work for you {2nd P - Person}

Here's the next post in my "rule of life" series! In case you missed it, read the intro here and the 1st P (prayer) here

Ah, the 2nd P. Person. I'm sure women struggle the most with this because how the heck do we take time for ourselves when we have a husband and children needing so much from us? And oh, laundry and dishes and all of that fun stuff.

It's hard, absolutely, but we have to remember that we can't give of ourselves if there's nothing left to give. You're not doing yourself any favors by not giving yourself enough rest and whatever else it is that makes you happy.

Like I said with prayer, figure out what works for you. I've realized that I'm a much happier person if, once I have some time to myself, I sit down with a book instead of turning on Netflix. Maybe you're the opposite! Totally fine by me. The point is to do things that fill you up. Crafts, exercising, getting together with friends, etc. Take your pick - we're all different.

I was talking to a couple friends recently, and we all agreed that taking the time to read (or exercise or whatever you prefer...but this was 3 introverts talking) motivates us to get other things done, like the laundry and dishes. It's almost like fuel! Tackling a load of laundry doesn't seem like a big deal if I spend a few minutes reading first.
One thing I started doing this past year is really keeping the Sabbath holy. I don't know why I've never done it before, really. And since Logan works works on weekends, at first I felt bad “resting” while he was at work. But then I realized that I wasn't taking any other day to rest and recharge, and I was struggling. So, it was just easier to pick Sundays as my rest day because that's what you're supposed to be doing anyway.

(I tried “resting” on Logan's off day but we tend to have other obligations since they're usually week days. Plus, Logan likes to have family fun, which usually means we leave the house, and that is NOT resting for this introvert. Fun, yes. But exhausting.)

Other than going to Mass and the occasional party or lunch with family (because no cooking!), most Sundays we don't do anything or go anywhere. I don't do laundry or clean – unless we're having company over. We do dishes, but that's it. I usually read a lot myself, read and sing to the boys, write, and maybe watch some football (in the fall). It sounds totally boring but it's actually pretty wonderful. And it didn't take me long to realize that a day of rest is just what I needed to make it through the rest of the week! It really does rejuvenate me. So, don't underestimate the power of taking care of yourself! (Plus, the boys LOVE it! Sometimes we lay out a blanket to hang out on while we read.)

I think a big part of why I've grown in contentment over the past year or so is because I started taking more time for myself, doing things I love and that inspire me and fill me up. Reading, writing, doing random projects, etc. Our kids will move out of the house one day, and we need to make sure we still have other things to live for when that happens.

And if you're someone who just really struggles with the guilt of taking time to yourself, let me encourage you to just try it! Soon you'll realize that you are a much better mother because you're taking care of yourself, and you're actually not depriving your kids. Trust me on this.


Some links I love and books I recommend:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...