"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Recent Reads {June edition}

Hey, it's been awhile since I've written about books! But it's not because I'm not reading. 

Remember that crazy goal I made of reading 50 books this year?? I've already read 40! I still can't believe it. Before I share the books and my thoughts, I just have to explain how I rate books...

5 Stars = I will probably read again and/or it was life-changing
4 Stars = I enjoyed it a lot and may or may not read it again
3 Stars = I liked it but there was maybe an aspect or two that I didn't like

I have yet to rate a book 1 or 2 Stars, but that would mean I didn't like it or I absolutely hated it (chances are I stopped reading a book if I think it's heading in that direction. Ain't nobody got time for that.) Seriously, though, I did like all of these - just have to say that because I might come across as kind of harsh. I just didn't LOVE all of them.
P.S. Be my friend on Goodreads!

Ok then! Here are some books I've read since May (and many are fiction! My friends who hate nonfiction should be proud of me):


1. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

I listened to this audiobook and it totally sucked me in. The characters are kind of crazy, but I guess that's part of why it was so interesting! Lots of plot twists and all. (There was some cursing, fair warning.) 4 Stars



2. A Spiritual Growth Plan for Your Choleric Child by Connie Rossini

This book was life-changing! Sometimes I don't know what to do with my little choleric Landon and this gave so many good tips and things to think about. I will definitely be referring to this one over the years and can't wait to figure out Chase's temperament so I can read the one that applies to him! (I should say that at the moment she just has the Phlegmatic book out, with plans on releasing Melancholic and Sanguine books too.) 5 Stars



3. When Breathe Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

I read this as my book for May as a bestseller. I did like it, especially the medical aspect of it (Paul was a neurosurgeon) but he got way too philosophical in the middle of the book. But I persevered through my eye rolling and I'm glad, because the epilogue by his wife was lovely. 3 Stars (maybe 3.5)



4. The Abundant Mama's Guide to Savoring Slow: Simplify, Embrace the Chaos and Find an Abundance of Time at Home by Shawn Fink

This was a nice read and you should totally read it if you're trying to slow down in life. I thought the parts about meditation were weird, but other than that, I liked it. 4 Stars



5. When I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde

I read this for a book club and was a little disappointed (but maybe it's because there were raving reviews that led to high expectations). It was okay - I did like the whole idea of never giving up on someone but it skipped time too much and I didn't like the ending. (Sometimes I'm a fiction hater, sorry!) But a lot of people love it so maybe don't listen to me. 3 Stars



6. The Art of Losing Yourself by Katie Ganshert

I have mixed feelings about this one. What I didn't love: the main character was a little whiny, the ending was not your typical ending (I can't explain why without ruining it), and I think it was longer than it needed to be. What I did love: I actually could relate to the main character in many ways (yeah, I know I said she was whiny), the story between the sisters, and the idea of accepting God's will even when it wasn't what you planned for yourself. 3 Stars (probably more like 3.5 since I couldn't decide)



7. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

This started off a little slow but the second half was good. It really got me thinking about life, ya know? Like what's really important in the big picture...which is something I've been thinking about a lot lately anyways. 4 Stars


That's 7 books so I'm linking up with Kelly! This month I'm supposed to read a book by a Catholic professor (as part of a challenge with my friends), and I'm looking for an easy read for my very pregnant brain. I'd love any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...