"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

God's timing...and how babies make everything better

Back in the fall, once my fertility finally returned after Chase's 1st birthday, Logan and I started feeling the pull towards having another baby. Pregnancy is a drastic lifestyle change for us, so I went back and forth about it a lot. One thing I knew, though, is that I really wanted to go on a weekend getaway with Logan before I got pregnant again. We hadn't done that since kids entered the picture (with the exception of a marriage retreat).

So as we tried to figure out a weekend that would work, we quickly realized how limited our options were - which is what happens with Logan working weekends and me in charge of a major silent auction at the time. As I looked at our calendar, one weekend stuck out to me in the middle of October. I just felt like if we didn't go THAT WEEKEND, it wouldn't happen at all.

Thankfully, it all worked out. We spent 36 hours in New Orleans with just the 2 of us, slept at a really nice hotel and ate a lot of yummy food. It was awesome.

Oh, and we also made a baby that night too, apparently. (TMI maybe but I DON'T CARE.)
This cute baby right here.

Yes, I knew at the time that a baby was possible. And no, I still wasn't sure how I felt about it. I mean, I totally wanted another baby...just not another pregnancy. (Now that Aaron is here, I'm realizing even more that pregnancy is just not fun - and this was the "easiest" pregnancy thus far! Oy vey.)

Well, I'm so glad it happened the way it did, because here we are, 10 months later, with the sweetest little baby. He sleeps well, eats well (and I'm exclusively breastfeeding! I still can't believe it!), and has been a source of comfort in these crazy, crazy times of shootings and terrorist attacks. I'm totally the type of person to get overwhelmed with the state of the world (it's how us melancholics roll, I hate to admit), and it's tempting to be even more discouraged since we just brought another innocent baby into the craziness...but he's actually been a little ray of light in the darkness. In more ways than one.

Last month, my grandma (dad's mom) was given just a few months to live. She's been battling cancer for awhile now, but suddenly declined and actually passed away last week. I was able to visit her back in November when I was just a few weeks pregnant. (She used to live relatively close but moved to Texas last year to live with my aunt.)
She was so adorable. (And hilarious and strong and devout and so, so much more.)

I knew when I left the hospital that day that I probably wouldn't see her again, assuming I was able to carry the pregnancy to term. What I didn't think about, though, is that she probably wouldn't get to meet her newest great-grandchild.

But her newest great-grandchild did make saying good-bye to her a little bit easier. At the wake, visitation, and funeral Mass. There were tears for my grandma and smiles for Aaron. My aunt held him during Mass and I know he comforted her at the end of what's been a really hard journey. It's been hard for everyone...but especially her. And I'm so glad God timed everything so Aaron could be here through it all. Babies really do make everything better.
Celebrating (with a toast) the life of an amazing woman. We love you, MoMo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...