"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, July 15, 2016

Recent Reads {July edition}

Lots of newborn snuggles means lots of reading! I feel like my "want to read" list is constantly growing that I kind of forget about my initial list. So maybe next month I'll cross more of those off my list! I only have 9 left out of the 27, so not too bad...and hey! I read 47 books total this year! I should probably increase my goal of 50 books, but I'm waiting until I actually complete it.

Here's what I read the past month and my random thoughts about them:

1. Hands Free Mama by Rachel Macy Stafford

My word of the year is "rest" and I think this book fits perfectly with that. I did find it kind of repeated the same concepts over and over...but it was still a nice read if you like the memoir-type style of writing and if you need some encouragement to focus on what's really important in life. 3 stars

2. Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen

If I want to read a good Christian fiction novel, I look to Julie Klassen. My friends love her and recommended this one, and it was actually perfect reading leading up to Aaron's birth - which happened the day after I finished this book! Breastfeeding is a big part of the story and after purposely forgetting that I would soon have another baby to breastfeed (it wasn't easy for me AT ALL the first 2 times), this book actually made me look forward to it. So that was cool. 4 stars

3. Lizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay

I've been having this ebook for awhile and finally read it this past week, thanks to all the resting I did. I did like it, especially because it was a lot about food. And it was about family and relationships, which is nice...but also depressing because it got me thinking about dysfunctional relationships and all and how common they are. A lot of people raved about this book which makes me think that's why I was slightly disappointed. Gotta hate when that happens. (If you're going to read a book by Katherine Reay, I think I liked Dear Mr. Knightley better.) 3 stars

4. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

I've been rereading the series, and I can't believe how much I forgot. I mean, I know how it ends, but I don't remember many details and it's kind of driving me crazy. I still think Goblet of Fire is my favorite book so far...this one just seemed kind of drawn out. And of course the ending made me go all "WTH??" I need to recover before I read the last one. 4 stars

5. Prayer for Beginners by Peter Kreeft

This was my read for the category "a book by a Catholic professor" in June. Perfect book because it was short and simple but definitely insightful. I do think the title is a little misleading, because it's not exactly a how to pray book - it's more of a why you should pray book. But I loved it and recommend it. 5 stars

6. The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

I was on the library waitlist for this for a couple months and finally read it last week. I honestly didn't really read the description first - I just knew it was a bestseller and people liked it, including a couple close friends. Had I known what it was about, I probably wouldn't have read it when I did (having a newborn and all) because it was pretty depressing. But I liked the story and Tom was my favorite character. (And I'm so excited to see who's playing him in the movie coming out in January!! Mr. Rochester!) 4 stars

7. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

This was my pick for this month for "a book you should have read in high school". Maaaaybe it's more of a middle school book, but I needed something easy for my tired brain. I liked it! But I also like classics. It reminded me of Hatchet, except a female version. It's probably not for everybody though... 4 stars


Linking up with Kelly for 7QT! Go check out everybody else's posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...