"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Evolution of prayer

I've been thinking a lot about my prayer life and how it has changed in the past year and how it still might change in the future. My prayer routine has stayed pretty consistent for awhile now, but lately, I'm finding myself making more excuses as to why I don't need to pray the entire rosary in one sitting during the boys' nap every afternoon...even though I've been doing it every day all year.

And that, my friends, is the signal to change things up a bit!

I knew I might have to figure out something new when Aaron came along, but since I rested as much as possible for the first 6 weeks of his life, the same prayer routine still worked. Now I'm starting to do more housework again, and if Aaron happens to nap at the same time as the boys (which he has been doing lately! yay!) sometimes the afternoon is the only time I can get things done that require both hands. Not to mention the fact that if I'm nursing Aaron in a quiet house and I try to pray the rosary after I've eaten a big meal, I doze off halfway through. #needmoresleep

So. Obviously my old ways are not working quite so well anymore. And I can totally see now how I fell off the prayer train in the past - whenever things stopped working, I didn't adjust. I just made excuses and stopped praying. Or I just threw up a random prayer here and there...which is not bad in and of itself, but I still need to set certain times in my day to pray.

No more excuses though! I'm throwing around the idea of waking up a little earlier than the boys, which is something I don't normally do with a baby. But Aaron has been pretty consistent about nursing around 6am and falling back asleep, and Chase has been pretty consistent about waking up at 7:30 (and his whining wakes up Landon)...so that should leave me with some quiet prayer time in between. Sometimes I have been doing my usual morning prayer (Morning Offering + Mass readings + Blessed Is She devotional) during that early nursing session, so if I do that, I can just pray my rosary once I get up.

But  I don't want to get out of the habit of not praying at all in the afternoon, because then it will be much easier to make excuses at other points in the day. So on the days that all of my boys are napping at the same time and I've already prayed a rosary, I will still take the time to pray, even if it's not long - like this lovely family prayer I found in my Queen of Apostles prayer book.

I went through a phase of loving the Liturgy of the Hours and would love to pick that up again, but I don't want to stop praying the rosary. We should be getting into a more consistent routine in a couple weeks when preschool starts, so maybe that will be the time to introduce that again into my prayer routine. We shall see.

Whew. I think that's enough talk about that. Of course, I'll need to try this for a couple weeks to see if it works...and if it doesn't I'll be trying something new which will probably include a lovely blog post like this one. You're welcome.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about changes in your prayer life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...