"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Recent Reads {August edition}

I officially reached my goal of reading 50 books this year! So crazy. What's even crazier is that I upped my goal on Goodreads to 75. Here's what I've read since my last Recent Reads post: 

1. Elijah in Jerusalem by Michael D. O'Brien

This was the sequel to Father Elijah that I reread earlier this year. I just really like how O'Brien writes and was glad this wasn't as dark as the first one...which I know is just part of writing about the Apocalypse, but still - I'm melancholic and can't always handle that. So many good characters in this one.

2. Undone: A story of making peace with an unexpected life by Michele Cushatt

I've been having this eBook forever at the recommendation of MoneySavingMom and finally read it. My favorite genre is memoirs, so I liked it. I guess I just like reading about other people's struggles to remind me that everyone has their crosses. (The ebook on Amazon is $1.99 at the time of this posting, FYI!)

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

I finished my reread of the series! As well as the rewatching of the movies with Logan (he had only seen a couple beforehand). This was reallllly long, but is probably either my favorite or second favorite of the series - the other one being Goblet of Fire. I can't decide. One thing is for sure, the movies for this book were intense! 

4. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

I'm not even putting an author because WHO THE HECK WROTE THIS? I read it right after I finished the series, and even though I'm fully aware this is a play and reads differently...it felt off to me. The characters, the plot, I don't know. There were some things I liked (Scorpius, I love you) but there were some things I didn't like too. Maybe I'm being harsh? Who knows. Read it and see for yourself!

5. Pierced by a Sword by Bud MacFarlane Jr.

Whew, I'm not sure what I think about this one. Things I loved: it's super Catholic, the characters, and the way it made me think about how my actions can negatively or positively affect others in the long run. Things I didn't love: the writing style, how long it was, and how some things didn't seem quite believable (but then again that was part of the point...God can do the impossible). I'm probably still going to read the rest of the series, though.

6. On the Other Side of Fear: How I Found Peace by Hallie Lord

I love everything Hallie writes and this was no exception. It's a memoir-style, a quick and easy read, and I think every woman could use Hallie's encouragement because she's basically the sweetest person alive. (If you buy the paperback on Amazon, you can get the ebook for $2.99! So I plan on giving my copy to a friend :))


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...