"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A beautiful gift (and how I'm stubborn)

You ever feel like God keeps telling you the same thing over and over again, just in different ways? Like He's constantly nudging you to do something?

That happens to me a lot. (I guess I'm stubborn.) Right now I feel like He keeps wanting me to spend more time with Scripture.

Last year, I started praying the Liturgy of the Hours, just Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer. And somehow I stopped doing that, even though I really liked it - probably because I really wanted to focus on a daily Rosary and thought that somehow I couldn't do both.

I know it's called Liturgy of the HOURS but really, each hour takes maybe 10 minutes (Night Prayer is even shorter). So once I realized I really had no excuse, I started praying Morning Prayer again a few months ago. My intention was to add Evening Prayer, but I ended up adding Night Prayer first because it's shorter and the most pleasant way to end the day.

Hopefully I'll manage to throw Evening Prayer back in there, and maybe occasionally some of the other Hours and the Office of Readings, but for now I just have to say that praying the Psalms (which the Liturgy of the Hours is mostly comprised of), as well as the other readings, is really making me appreciate Scripture more. So much, in fact, that I've been feeling those gentle nudges from God to bust out my Bible more often - because sadly, it doesn't happen too much anymore.

And then because I am stubborn, I keep getting the same message in things I read. First, it was in Colleen C. Mitchell's book Who Does He Say You Are? Colleen talks about how she's gone through several Bibles in her lifetime because they all became worn from use. What she writes in her Afterword about her thirst for God's Word is just really beautiful. (Seriously, y'all...read this book.)

Then today in the Blessed Is She's Advent journal, Elizabeth Foss writes: "If we want to get to Christmas without falling over in a great, sorrowful heap, we need to cultivate the habit of opening our Bibles."

YES. So, I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to cultivate this habit, other than making sure my Bible is right where I can see it, easily accessible to open whenever I have a spare minute or two. But what I do know is that Scripture should always be what we come back to and that we should remember (I'm preaching to myself here most of all) that it's such a beautiful gift given to us by God Himself. Let's not waste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...