"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Advent randomness

I totally wrote a [different] post about alllll our plans for Advent and then I realized that is a great way to get overwhelmed. And that's not what Advent is about. So while we definitely have our Advent wreath set up, as well as our Jesse Tree, I'm not going to stress about it (as well as all the other things on our list). We'll do our best when it comes to all the Advent things, but making ourselves feel defeated and guilty when life happens is probably what the devil wants. (He can suck it, by the way.)

So! Things you might not know:

  • Logan does 100% of the Christmas decorating around here. Not kidding.
  • He has already finished all of the decorating, inside and out, with the exception of ornaments on our tree - which we will do on St. Nicholas Day.
  • I'm the world's worst wrapper of presents. But I don't care because 80% of ours are already wrapped and under our tree. (And most of the rest are being shipped to us as we speak!) 
  • Logan is a bit obsessive about his decorations. Okay, that's an understatement...he's super obsessive. But he's SO GOOD at it that I can't be too annoyed.
  • I'd much rather save all the Christmas fun for the actual Christmas season (December 25th - January 6th), but Logan does not. So we compromise. I'm slowly converting him, though. 
  • We do love to throw in a couple of super fun days amidst the Advent waiting. Our 2 big days are St. Nicholas Day (December 6th) and Gaudete Sunday (3rd Sunday of Advent, which will be December 11th this year). Logan just so happens to be off work for both of them this year because Jesus loves me.
 My sister bought this inflatable for Logan for Christmas last year and he was dying to put it up this year. When I walked outside, he exclaimed, "THIS THING IS AMAZING!" He's so special. (But I still love you, babe!)

So. Advent. In case you're all "What? It's Advent already?" Take a deep breath; it'll be okay! Here are 3 things you could do if you haven't yet thought about the whole prayer/spiritual aspect of it yet:
  1. Blessed Is She Advent Journal. This is what I'm doing this year and I know I'm going to love it, just after one day. I've been slacking off on my personal journaling lately (mainly because of a baby who likes to be held alllll the time), so this is a perfect excuse to get back into the rhythm. If you were too late to buy a print copy, don't worry, you can download a digital copy here ($15).
  2. Pray More Advent Retreat by John-Paul and Annie of PrayMoreNovenas.com.  It's an online retreat with videos, transcripts, and study guides. Some of them look really good! You can pay however much you want, but if you can't pay, you can still join.
  3. Advent boot camp by Meg at Held By His Pierced Hands. She has a guide for prayer time each day. If I hadn't already committed to the BIS journal, I would totally be doing this. (It's free!)
While it's tempting to want to do all of these things and then some, I'm keeping my expectations super low and sticking with just the journal for now. The important thing is just to do something, whether or not it's any of the above, and to prepare our hearts not only for baby Jesus, but for when Jesus comes again too. Mary at Better than Eden has a great post about "punching the devil in the face this Advent", so to speak, so go read it!

I will leave you with a sleeping baby pic because somehow that seems appropriate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...