"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, November 18, 2016

Recent Reads {November '16 edition}

I haven't done one of these posts since August, thanks to my little break, and I've read 13 books since then soooo obviously I won't bore you with a snippet from every single one of those. Just 7! The ones I liked the most, of course. Linking up with Kelly for 7QT!


1. The Everyday Catholic's Guide to the Liturgy of the Hours by Daria Sockey

Last year I basically taught myself how to pray the Liturgy of the Hours and I was totally kicking myself after reading this because it covers everything. If you're interested at all in learning more about the Liturgy of the Hours or wanting to try something new in your prayer life, this is the book for you.


2. The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood

I'm having a hard time explaining how I feel about this one because it was such an usual story line but I really enjoyed it. I love the old woman (seriously, she's old...104). It seems like the new thing is to write about the most unlikely friendships, and this definitely falls into that category. Kind of reminds me of A Man Called Ove, which I also liked.


3. The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton

Merton was an atheist and converted to Catholicism and then became a monk! So this is his story. The first part of the book was a little hard to get through, but once he converted, I was hooked. He has such awesome insights and an interesting life story.



4. The Awakening of Miss Prim by Natalia Sanmartín Fenollera

I kept hearing about this one and I kind of hate when that happens because it makes my expectations super high and I'm often left slightly disappointed. BUT I did really enjoy this one and totally want to live in San Ireneo. It is a little quirky, but in a good way - you can't help but like the characters and community. I wasn't a fan of the ending even though I totally understand why it ends like that...I just still didn't like it. But I did like the book!


5. Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne

I kind of wish I had read this earlier in my parenting years but I suppose better late than never. It starts with decluttering and goes from there, just to give you an idea! Some of this I was already doing but it just really reinforced what changes I want to make in our life and how I want to proceed as our kids get older. Definitely recommend if you're trying to simplify!


6. Trusting God with St. Therese by Connie Rossini

This was kind of part memoir, part spiritual read - two of my faves! And I love St. Therese and loved learning more about her childhood. It gives me hope that my crazy children just might become saints one day. (You can borrow this ebook if you have Amazon Prime, FYI.)


7. Catholic Mom Challenge by Sterling Jaquith

The premise of this kind of reminds me of A Mother's Rule of Life, except it's much more relevant to this age of social media and more appealing (although I really do love A Mother's Rule of Life too). Sterling shares some personal stuff, which keeps it real...and she's pretty funny. If you're trying to pray more, get your priorities straight, and just need a little guidance, I recommend this book! I didn't even create my own "manifesto" when I finished reading but so much of it was very helpful and encouraging. (You can also borrow this ebook if you have Amazon Prime, FYI, although it's probably a book you will want to have.)

-----
Okay, so there's actually a few more I really want to mention so I'll have to include those in next month's post. Sorry if you don't like these. But you're welcome if you do. ;) 

Have you read anything good lately? I'm always looking for a new read!
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...