"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Little graces just when we need them

If my last post wasn't any indication, I'm struggling a bit in this thing called life right now. And I really don't mean to sound like I'm complaining - I'm fully aware that I am so, so blessed. No major stuff going on. Just a lot a lot a lot of little stuff. So much so that there have been way too many moments where I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry.

As someone who has the tendency to get depressed (thanks, melancholic temperament), I've learned to look for the bright side in life. A lot of times I fail miserably at that, but heck, I'm trying. And what I'm realizing is that more often than not, God sends little graces (AKA gifts, consolations, take your pick) to make whatever life is hitting you with just a little more bearable.
While it certainly was not a joy to be woken up at 2am to the sound of my kid throwing up on our carpet, it only happened once and nobody else succumbed to that illness. 
While I've been dealing with a bad sinus infection, the day I felt the worst happened to be the day that Logan was off work so I was able to take a nap. 
While it was SO FRUSTRATING to get all of the boys ready to take Landon to school just to realize my van was completely dead (the day after Landon missed school already because of sickness), we ended up having a pleasant day at home - probably the most pleasant in a very long time.
So after realizing that while yes, there have been a lot of frustrations lately but that they've also been accompanied by positive things, it didn't come as much of a surprise to me (because God needs to reinforce things due to my stubbornness) when I was reading the First Reading today and realized it included one of my favorite verses:
"For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with great tenderness I will take you back." (Isaiah 54:7, NAB)
Sometimes it feels like God just lets us drown, so to speak, for a little while. And while he's not doing it to be cruel (actually just the opposite), it's hard. But I know that it's because of those difficult times that I'm able to realize when life is oh so very good. And it's also because I've seen how God has rescued me from those bad times that I'm able to see that he sends us little graces at the exact moment we need them.
"When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul." (Psalm 94:19, NRSV)
Cute baby = big consolation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...