"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, January 6, 2017

A new year {2017}

Linking up with Kelly to share some thoughts about the new year!

Saints Name Generator

I've been picking a saint for a few years now and sometimes it ends up being just the perfect one. Last year I got St. Joseph and suddenly knew our baby in utero would be a boy. And he was! Aaron Joseph. This year I was thrilled to get St. Francis De Sales because he's the patron of writers and I've kind of considered him the patron of this blog. AND Logan gave me my own writing space for Christmas so maybe this will be the year I finally finish some writing projects. St. Francis, pray for me! (Go pick a saint!)

Word of the Year

 It took me awhile to choose a word because last year I picked ""rest" and it was awesome and how would anything be better than that? But alas, God gave me a new word, the most perfect word for me right now - peace. I've been struggling with anxiety the past few months so I know I need to cultivate peace in my heart, my home, and my relationships.

90-day Bible Challenge

One of my goals is to read the Bible more, so I've been following this 90-day reading plan - started on January 1st. Hopefully it will become a habit by the time the 90 days are up (which will be during Lent!).

Books

Well, after reading 72 books last year (check out my faves here), I wasn't sure what to do as far as my reading goals this year. But since I know I won't be able to read as much (it was due to pregnancy and having a newborn) and the fact that I want to read the Bible more, I'm going to go with a goal of reading 36 books.

Verse of the Year?

I've never chosen one before but I kind of like the idea and am tempted to search Etsy for a super cute print of it. I came across it on my Instagram feed and was like YES.
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid." (John 14:27, NRSV)

Fun Mom

It looks like we will be sending Landon to kindergarten next year, and while I could totally write a whole post about that [totally hard and not clear-cut decision that needed to be made so I would stop stressing over it], I just have to say it's making me realize that I want to soak up every minute that I have him with me. So with that in mind, one thing I want to do this year (especially as I've realized during this Christmas break that it's not as hard as it seems) is to be more intentional about spending quality time with my boys. Reading, coloring, play games with them - and not because I feel like I have to but because I really and truly want to. You know what I mean? Having all littles is hard but I know I will totally miss this stage when they're older.


Other "goals"

There are a few other things I want to do and just for the sake of remembering I will jot them down here:

  • Be better about commenting on other blogs (because I know how sometimes we feel like we're writing for nothing and a simple comment can make such a difference)
  • Journal at least every 2 weeks, preferably at least once a week
  • Start scheduling writing time (AKA give the kids to Logan and RUN. Jk. Kind of.)
  • Do a no-spend month
  • Stick to our (newly revised) budget!! So we can finally put more towards savings
  • Go on regular family walks
  • Take one picture each week of each of the boys on my nice camera and make photo books at the end of the year
I'm know I'm forgetting things so maybe I'll come back and add to it. Have a great Epiphany weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...