"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, January 16, 2017

Another book list {books to read in 2017}

I made my first book list last year, as ambitious as it was, and I'm thinking it might be part of the reason why I read the most books I ever have in one year. I just love scratching things off a list! So I spent [entirely too much] time making a list for 2017. The one thing I learned is that I was wayyyy too ambitious with the number of spiritual books I wanted to read – of the 9 on my list last year, I just read 5. So many spiritual books take awhile to get through (which is good! You want it to sink in and all), so I tried really hard not to put that many on my list this year. (But of course if I finish the ones here by some chance then I'll read more.)

Another reason I really wanted to make another list is to make sure I read mostly books that are free! You know, ones that are sitting on my shelf still unread or that I can easily get from the library. I don't want to commit to books and realize I need to buy them. #budget

Okay, listed by category because that is how I roll (you can just say I'm temperamental with my reading):

Marriage

The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian - seriously been having this on my shelf forever


Parenting

The 5 Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman


Spiritual/Catholic

Hail, Holy Queen by Scott Hahn

Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales - because he's my saint of the year!

33 Day to Merciful Love by Michael E. Gaitley

Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Gurnard

A Father Who Keeps His Promises by Scott Hahn - also been having this on my shelf for years, halfway read (but I'm starting from the beginning again)


Fiction/Classics

Something by Wendell Berry, TBD

The Horse & His Boy by C.S. Lewis - making my way through the Narnia books

Something else by C.S. Lewis, TBD - any suggestions? I'm thinking A Grief Observed or Surprised by Joy or Till We Have Faces. So many options!

Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery - also making my way through Anne of Green Gables

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen


Biography/Memoir

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken

Night by Elie Wiesel

Anchored by Kayla Aimee

Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia, and the Biggest Funeral in the History of the World by Anthony Doerr


Self-help/personal development/non-fiction/I don't know

Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Henry Cloud and John Townsend

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott

The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brene Brown

Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World by Tsh Oxenreider


My goal is to read 36 books this year, and that's only 24 so I don't feel too restricted.


I mentioned last year that a group of my friends have a reading challenge together, and the above graphic is our new one this year (we each picked a category). We still have an ongoing book-related text message thread about what we're reading each month. It's really been fun having that accountability! So find yourself a book buddy and get reading! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...