"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A month for your marriage {week 1 - togetherness}

This month I'm hosting a weekly challenge (with a link-up!) dedicated to our marriages. I thought it was the perfect month to do something marriage-related – with St. Valentine's Day on February 14th, National Marriage Week February 7-14, and World Marriage Day on February 12. So each week in February (probably on Tuesday or Wednesday), I'll post a brief reflection and a challenge for you to do. Don't worry, I'm doing the challenge too! Check back the following week to hear about how I did. I'll also have a new reflection and challenge for you.

Feel free to blog about your experiences and how you did so you can join the link-up! (I'm fine with you including it as part of another post, like 7QT!) Or if you don't have a blog, share in the comments. I would love for you to join me either way! (Of course I totally want you just to do the challenges regardless of whether or not you share it with me. Mmkay?)
In the book A Severe Mercy, the author Sheldon Vanauken writes about how he and his wife talked about what they thought was the problem of failed love. They thought the answer was “creeping separateness” - doing things on your own, having your own interests...instead of doing everything together. While adultery or boredom or something else might happen, it was first caused by “the creeping separateness: the failure behind the failure” (page 37).

I can definitely see that being the case. Even though Logan and I are so, so different, we have enough common interests – like our faith, sports, and board games, just to name a few. We pray together, we watch (and sometimes play) sports together, and we play games together. It's easy to get caught up in our own hobbies, where I'm reading a book and he's watching random videos, which is fine as long as we're doing things together too. But I know how easy it is to let a day or two go by and realize we haven't done much with our spouse (especially when you have kids!).

Your challenge for this week: Do something together every day this week. (I'm tempted to say that watching TV together doesn't count, but...you decide.)

Some ideas:
  • Pray (I really hope you're doing this anyway, but it's never too late to start!)
  • Play a game
  • Cook a meal together
  • Go for a walk

Keep it simple, okay? Check back next week and I'll share how I did. I'll have a link-up on the next post for for you to share your experience too! I'd love for you to join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...