"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

A month for your marriage {week 2 - affirmation}

In case you missed it, I'm hosting a weekly marriage challenge this month (with a link-up)! Read last week's post with more details here.

How I did on Week 1, Togetherness


Well. As soon as I published last week's post, I realized we had company coming over 2 nights in a row, Logan was working the next 2 nights in a row, and then we were going over to a friend's house for the Superbowl the night after that. How the HECK were we supposed to be doing things together? (I just need to say that most weeks are most definitely not like that!)

Honestly, I don't think we managed to do something specific every day – particularly the days he was working evenings, since our mornings were full – but I'm actually thankful this challenge coincided with a crazy week. It made me more aware of the fact that we needed to seriously make time for each other amidst the craziness! Even if it was just taking 3 minutes to jam out to Queen in the kitchen when all the boys were sleeping. (True story. We're kind of weird.)

On Sunday, though, we got really creative. We were going to Mass at 4:30pm right before the Superbowl and decided to leave REALLY early so the kids could nap in the car. It had been literally 24 hours since we had seen each other (crazy weekend, I tell ya), so we picked up coffee and talked to each other. For an hour. While all 3 boys slept. It was lovely.


Photographic evidence.

So, how about you? Did you manage to make time for each other every day? Tell me all about it. Link up your posts below or share how you did in the comments!

------

Week 2, Affirmation


There's a book called The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman and the basic premise is that we all have one or two top love languages. We should strive to “speak” to our loved ones in the love languages that touch them the most. For example, Logan's favorites are Physical Touch and Words of Affirmation.

I struggle with that because those are NOT my love languages AT ALL. I'm not a touchy feely person and I don't care either way if I receive compliments or not. Logan, on the other hand, very much thrives on both of those things. (My love languages are Acts of Service and Quality Time.)

Your challenge for this week: Say something affirming to your spouse every day this week.

I know that's just one of the love languages but I think affirmation has a positive effect on everyone, regardless if it's one of your top love languages or not. Plus, affirming others is something we should be doing regularly (I know I certainly need the practice)! Maybe you're already really good at this. If so, you're awesome. Feel free to do your own challenge in lieu of mine – maybe choose a different love language to focus on. The goal is just to enrich your marriage!

Some ideas of affirming your spouse:

  • Examples: "You cooked a delicious meal" or "Thank you for working so hard for our family"
  • Send a random affirming text - Logan and I are slightly obsessed with Bitmojis and they make things pretty funny too
  • Leave a handwritten note for your spouse to find upon waking up (if you don't normally wake up at the same time)
I'm praying for everyone participating! Can't wait to hear how you're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...