"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

A month for your marriage {week 3 - surprise and spontaneity)

In case you missed it, I'm hosting a weekly marriage challenge! Read the previous posts: week 1 and week 2 (go check out the linked-up posts!).

How I did on Week 2, Affirmation


I said last week how I really struggle with Logan's love languages, and let me tell you....giving affirmation is so hard for me! I wish it wasn't. I had a particularly hard week with a teething baby, not much sleep, and whiny children...which made it even harder for me to affirm Logan – I was already so spent. So! While I didn't say something aloud to him every day (but I did try some), I focused on what was easier for me – writing.

The credit for this idea totally goes to a friend in my church playgroup. It's an empty picture frame, and I use a dry erase marker on the glass to write a compliment, an encouragement, anything! I used to do this more often but it kind of got put aside when Aaron was born. So this past week I put the frame next to Logan's sink again (we each have our own) so he can see a new affirming message from me each day. I think I did forget one day, though. (Logan has his own videography business on the side and he's SO good at it, if you didn't know!)

So, how did you do? Did you get creative? Let's hear all about it. Link up your posts below or share how you did in the comments!


------

Week 3, Surprise and spontaneity


What Logan and I lack in communication, we make up for with surprises and spontaneity. We love impromptu dance parties in the kitchen and deciding to splurge (AKA using our monthly “fun” money) at our favorite Mexican restaurant after Mass. Logan is especially good at these things – like doing a quick house cleaning while I'm at the grocery store or taking me on a dinner date and informing me on the way to the restaurant that we were actually going to see my favorite singer in concert instead. (And then he grabs sushi, one of my fave takeout foods, from the backseat to eat in the car on the way to the concert because this man covers all his bases.)

Surprises or being spontaneous is really good when you're in a rut, or just struggling, or heck, it's good even when life is gooood. I highly recommend it.

Your challenge this week: Plan a special surprise for your spouse this week. (This is your opportunity to do something if you didn't for St. Valentine's Day!)

Some ideas:
  • Cook something that you know your spouse really loves but that you don't normally cook (whether it's because of difficulty or cost or whatever)
  • Book a babysitter, make a dinner reservation, and don't tell your spouse until he/she walks in the door after a long day at work
  • Plan an “in-house” date night – order takeout, put the kids to bed early, and have the house looking nice and clean. Maybe light some candles and set out a comfy blanket to eat picnic-style?
  • Send your spouse out of the house for a few hours to do whatever he/she likes (bonus points for cleaning the house during that time, ha)
One last thing - make sure you do something your spouse will enjoy, even if it's not what you would choose to do. (i.e. I'd much rather a night in but I know Logan would always prefer going out.) Can't wait to hear from you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...