"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, March 10, 2017

Recent Reads (March '17 edition)

I kind of stopped blogging about my 2016 reads...oops. So! I'm just going start with the first 7 books I've read in 2017, mmkay? I'm currently ahead in my Goodreads challenge (9 books read out of 36), but I know I will get most of my reading done in the first half of the year while I'm still nursing Aaron.

Sadly, only one of these is fiction, so I guess I need to branch out a little more. 


1. Night by Elie Wiesel

I read this in high school but didn't remember anything other than I liked it. This time, I listened to the audiobook, which was well-read. It's a relatively short book that kept my attention the whole time. I'd like to read the actual book again one day.

2. A Severe Mercy: A Story of Faith, Tragedy, and Triumph by Sheldon Vanauken

This was part of the inspiration behind the series I did on marriage last month - I mentioned the book in Week 1. The first half was a bit slow but definitely picked up once Sheldon and his wife converted to Christianity. I love the whole point of the book - and I don't want to ruin it but it has to do with the title of the book. There's a good chance this will be on my "fave books of 2017" post.


3. Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly

The movie preview looked so good so I was hoping for a good book. Unfortunately, it was really hard to get through - too many characters and storylines that I had a hard time keeping track. The actual story was interesting but I felt like it could have been put together better. I'd say skip the book and just watch the movie.


4. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery

I read this so I could listen to the Fountains of Carrots podcast about it in a couple weeks. It was funny, refreshing, and totally predictable but I still loved it.


5. Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World by Tsh Oxenreider


This has been on my to-read list for awhile and then Alicia recommended it to me and I realized my library has the audiobook! I wasn't a fan of the audiobook (even though it was read by the author), but I did like the book itself. It's one of those memoir-type books (my fave) with some good reflections about life. Totally made me want to move to Turkey! Ha.

6. Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy

So, I realized this is more geared towards people with an actual career, BUT I learned a lot of helpful tips! I definitely recommend this if you have a side business or anything like that and find yourself short on time. Or if you just really struggle with procrastination.


7. Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick


I had high hopes for this one because I think Anna is just hilarious. I did like hearing more about her life, but there was just wayyyy too much cursing and sex talk for my taste. I did listen to the audiobook (also read by the author) and that probably just made the cursing and all seem worse. I was enjoying it until about half way through and probably would have stopped reading/listening had it not been my monthly reading challenge pick - "a book written by a celebrity."

Aaaaand that's 7 so I'm linking up with Kelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...