"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, April 21, 2017

Recent Reads (April '17 edition)

Happy Easter Octave! I'm going to be super lame and celebrate by sharing some of the books I've read lately. If you missed last month's Recent Reads post, you can read it here. These are 7 books again so I'm linking up with Kelly!

1. The 5 Love Languages of Children: The Secret to Loving Children Effectively by Drs. Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell

I've been knowing about the love languages for years now but this was the first time I've read about them outside of the original The 5 Love Languages book. It was so enlightening and I'm sure I'll revisit this one over and over again. I listened to the audiobook, which I wasn't a fan of, but maybe I'm just weird. The content was invaluable though. Highly recommend!

2. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian

I've been having this on my bookshelf for years and finally got around to reading it. I did not expect it to like it as much as I did. It inspired me to pray for Logan more and to be more specific in how I pray for him.

3. Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave

This was a serious book, set in WWII England, but the characters have dry and witty senses of humor - which I loved. It's not as good as All the Light You Cannot See and The Nightingale, but it's still a good read.

4. A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis

I'm not sure why I picked this one up, because I'm not in a stage of grief or anything. It was honest and had insightful reflections, and I'll definitely read it again whenever the time comes. It's pretty short.

5. Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza (with Steve Erwin)

I could not put this one down - I read it in 2 days! It's not the best written book I've read, but the story is amazing and Immaculee's faith is inspiring.

6. Anchored: Finding Hope in the Unexpected by Kayla Aimee

Kayla shares about her experience with a micropremie in the NICU, and it totally made me think of Levi. Granted, our stories ended differently, but I just love a good story about accepting God's will when it's completely different than what you had planned for yourself. (Hence the blog name.)

7. Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin

A few of my friends read/are reading this 3-book series so of course I had to join them. I loved some of the characters (Eli!) and didn't love others. It was a bit long but kept my interest - and now I want to read alllll the Civil War books. That time era is so interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...