"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The home stretch

Lent always comes at the perfect times, it seems. The high of the new year has come and gone, and we're all in need of some extra motivation. And then as Lent drags on and on and on, we slip back into our old ways. Or maybe it's just me?

Example: Logan and I started off Lent just watching one episode of something each week (The Walking Dead was our top choice until the season ended). Graaaadually we added a movie here, another episode of something there. And then I found myself this past Saturday, watching episode after episode of Designated Survivor (so good, by the way). I rarely - and I mean rarely - sit and watch TV for extended periods of time. I could blame it on the fact that I ran (and I mean ran! I didn't walk at all!) a 5K that morning and then Logan went to work for the rest of the night and there was no way I was going to do anything, um, productive. Except feed my kids and all.

So! Here comes Holy Week, kicking me in the butt once again. The TV has stayed off except for one episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the big boys (which I agreed to on Monday before I remembered that we weren't watching TV this week, oops).

We've been spending a lot of time outside with the lovely weather and I've been purposely leaving my phone far away from my person - thanks to Jenny for that little nudge - and it's just been nice. I feel like I just really love my family right now and part of me wonders if it's because I'm less distracted. Less staring at screens and more staring at the cute faces of the people I love the most.

Super fancy photo [awkwardly] taken with my laptop because I'm too lazy to go upstairs to get my phone. 4 more days!! I think I've enjoyed the Jesus Tree more than my kids because of the Scripture readings - although they do love putting the "ornaments" on.

I've been really bad lately at reading way too many books at a time. The biography section at the library really got me last week because I'm just a sucker for people's real life stories. But since it's Holy Week and all, I'm trying to focus mostly on St. Francis de Sales' Introduction to the Devout Life that I've been slowly making my way through since January. Definitely recommend it.

My church had a one-night mission this week that I was fortunately able to go to allllll by myself. It was the first time I've had an entire evening to myself without Aaron attached to me and it was very much needed. There was Adoration at the mission and it just kind of hit me that although I've been praying as I should lately, I'm missing the deep and personal relationship with Jesus. Sometimes it's so easy to just go through the motions...

I suppose that's enough Lenten thoughts for one post. I hope everyone has a beautiful Holy Triduum and a very happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...