"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Recent Reads (June '17 edition)

For some reason, it feels like I have barely been able to read lately (I'm looking at you, fussy one-year old!!), but I managed to finish 6 books since my last book post. So, I don't know how that happened. Maybe because a few of these were so good I squeezed in 5 minutes of reading whenever I could! Oh, and a couple were kind of short I guess.

Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables #2) by L.M. Montgomery

I'm making my way through these since I've never read them before! Should have included that in my confessions post. I just loved the friendship between Miss Lavendar, Paul Irving, and Anne. Kindred spirits!

Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia, and the Biggest Funeral in the World by Anthony Doerr

I listened to the audiobook for this (read by the author) since that's the only way it was available through our library. I'm a big fan of memoirs, and I'm fascinated by Rome, so I liked it. But if you're not a fan of random musings and his style of writing (he wrote All the Light You Cannot See, which was SO GOOD), you might not feel the same way.

Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard

Because this is an allegory, I think this is one of those books that you either love or hate. I loved it. It was the perfect read for me right now and I related to every bit of it. It was weird at first (my first allegory, I think), but I got used to it pretty quickly.

God Help Me! These People Are Driving Me Nuts! Making Peace with Difficult People by Dr. Gregory K. Popcak

This book was SO helpful. I had to get our library to borrow it from another library, but as soon as we can swing the $16 (*cringe*) I want to buy my own copy. Dr. Popcak gives a lot of good advice that's helpful in any relationship - not just difficult ones - and I love that he's Catholic and faithful to the Church's teachings. Two of my big takeaways were: Always assume a positive intention, and Never negotiate the what; always negotiate the how and when. (Dr. Popcak has a talk that's similar and available as an MP3 for only $2.50 here. I bought it but haven't finished listening yet!)


31 Days to Radically Reduce Your Expenses by Kalyn Brooke

I read a lot of financial books and blog posts and all so a lot of this were things I'm already doing, but I did get a few new ideas. Easy read so I recommend it if you need a little help with your budget. (This was in the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle, FYI)


Raising Chaste Catholic Men: Practice Advice, Mom to Mom by Leila Miller

This made me realize even more what a huge responsibility it is to raise boys, which is slightly terrifying, but Leila gives you honest and strong advice on how to do it well. She is straightforward, practical, and encouraging. It was so helpful and I'll definitely be rereading as my boys get older. (I borrowed this ebook for free through the Prime Lending Library but the Kindle version is only $4.99 on Amazon, FYI)


What have y'all been reading?? I'm having trouble deciding what to read next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...