"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Recent Reads (vol.8?)

If there's one thing that'll keep my blogging, it's....books. I know you're surprised. I officially completed by 2017 challenge of 36 books already by reading 38 books - which kind of blows my mind. But apparently reading is my self-care. I just love me a good book, you guys.

I don't think I'll be posting these monthly anymore, so we're sticking with "volumes" - perhaps quarterly. And maybe just with some (okay, 4 this time) of my favorites because I've read 10 books since my last post and that's just too much, right? Right. Onwards with some good recent reads!

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

Lauren let me borrow this on our beach trip and it sucked me in good. I've only read one other Jodi Picoult book forever ago and hated it (The Pact - please don't read it) but this one changed my mind about her books. It's really really really relevant in our time right now - think white supremacy and racism and all that hard stuff that people don't like to talk about. It's told from 3 different view points which was interesting - a black female nurse, a white female attorney, and a white male supremacist. Ruth (the nurse) was my favorite. It was REALLY hard reading the chapters with the white male supremacist...fair warning. But all in all I recommend it.


Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J.B. West

Ashley's post about this book intrigued me, and whoa, I got sucked in too.  I didn't realize just how much I liked history until I read this book. And what's really neat is that when I was in Austin, Texas, for Edel, my friends and I visited the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library and Museum - and that was perfect while in the middle of reading this book! I think I annoyed my friends with all my "knowledge" about the First Family but oh well. If you're interested in the White House and/or the Presidents and their families you should totally read this. Mr. West covers the time span from Franklin D. Roosevelt to Richard Nixon, I think.


Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion by Gregory Boyle

This was written by a priest - who sounds like such a cool dude - about his work with gang members in Los Angeles. I listened to the audiobook, which I really liked, but there is some cursing FYI. Fr. Greg (or "G") had so many inspiring stories that really makes you think twice about stereotypes.


The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

I'm on a C.S. Lewis kick right now! This was a little haunting, in a way, because it makes you realize just how sneaky the devil can be. I listened to the audiobook, which was good because it was a British guy, but also a little creepy with him talking with such normalcy about evil and tempting people. It really made an impact on me, though. I would like to read the hard copy one day!

What's everybody reading this days? You know I love recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...